Garage Pitched Roof Structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my garage roof was bowed and in a sorry state so had the tiles taken off, new structure and tiles put back on. The people I had in discovered that the wall plate wasn't actually screwed/fixed onto the wall on one side (looks like the wall was rebuilt fairly recently but they they forgot to refix the wallplate maybe!), so this was the main cause of failure. They used thicker wood for the rafters this time and for the ridge beam and of course screwed the wall plates in, but they haven't put any purlins in and the joists aren't sitting on the wall plates? I've attached a photo of the garage before (inside and out) and the new structure inside. I'm just a bit worried now that the new structure is actually weaker than the old one and I may end up with a saggy roof again due to the weight of the tiles! Please can someone put my mind at rest or give me some tips to shore it up a bit if not!?

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 20141012_123009.jpg
    20141012_123009.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20150224_081318.jpg
    20150224_081318.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20150707_184207.jpg
    20150707_184207.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
Great, thanks. Do you think the joists are ok as well as I thought they were meant to be resting on the wall plate?

It looks like those joists are really acting as collars and just restraining the rafters rather than forming a ceiling.

As long as they are not more than 1/3 up the rafter, they should be OK too. And it would be better if they were bolted and had a toothed washer connector, rather than just nailed to the rafters.

Sponsored Links
Ah I see, thanks Woody, you've put my mind to rest now! Yes, will definitely bolt the joists as they are currently attached by 2 nails. Thanks for the tip on the toothed washer too :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back