Mono Pitch Roof Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls are almost up and i want to try my hand at forming the roof structure. It is only a small roof over the garage spanning approximately 1.5m from wall to wall. I am fairly confident i will be able to do this myself but have a few questions regarding timber sizes and fixings;

1) Wall plate to be 4x2
2) The architect and online calculators have said 4x2 is to be used for the rafters and joists. Whilst I am sure it will work it seems fairly small sections. Is there any benefit to increasing to 6x2? I plan to store some bits in the roof space
3) Should the rafters and joists be connected at the wall plate level or left independent of each other.
4) Are masonry joist hangers better than a wall plate to the existing wall to hold the joists
5) Should the wall plate connecting the rafters to the wall (top of pitch) be the same size timber as the rafters or bigger.
6) Is there any benefit in reducing the centers from 600 down to 450/400. Over the run it will only mean another 2 timbers so no cost.

Sponsored Links
1) Wall plate to be 4x2
sounds good to me.

2) Is there any benefit to increasing to 6x2?
Not especially.

3) Should the rafters and joists be connected at the wall plate level or left independent of each other.
Connected.

4) Are masonry joist hangers better than a wall plate to the existing wall to hold the joists
Hangers are preferred. End grain or skew fixing can split the wood and is unreliable.

6) Is there any benefit in reducing the centers from 600 down to 450/400. Over the run it will only mean another 2 timbers so no cost.
Yes. I'm not a fan of 600mm c/c. You only need to put your foot through one knotty batten at height once and once only.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Material now ordered for me to make a start at the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back