Garage RCD Unit Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i bought a garage consumer unit and i guess this is how it should be wired up, can anyone comment if this is right.

Many thanks
garagewylexxc6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wasn't aware that you need to notify the local authorities if you are replacing exsisting units with exsisting wiring....

If it is a like for like change.

So if your new CU is the same as the old one no need to notify.

However if you are replacing an old rewireable fuse board then this will require full testing and notifying, as you have changed the safety characteristics of the installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice on the notification.

So is this the right way to wire this unit?

Thanks

Wasn't aware that you need to notify the local authorities if you are replacing exsisting units with exsisting wiring....
Replacing a CU is notifiable. And how do you know the existing unit was right?

No wiring diagram came with ther unit.
The manufacturers, quite correctly, work on the basis that if you don't know how to do it without being told then you shouldn't be doing it.

So is this the right way to wire this unit?
What size cables are you using?

What rating is the breaker in the main CU?

Is the main CU circuit RCD protected?

What's the distance between the house and the outbuilding?

Do you have a TN-C-S supply?

Are there extraneous-conductive-parts in the outbuilding?

If it is a like for like change.
The Building Regulations draw no such distinction - the concept of "like for like" is not mentioned.

So if your new CU is the same as the old one no need to notify.
Schedule 2B explicitly makes replacing CUs notifiable.

No wiring diagram came with ther unit.
The manufacturers, quite correctly, work on the basis that if you don't know how to do it without being told then you shouldn't be doing it.?

Fair enough.

What size cables are you using?
4mm armoured

What rating is the breaker in the main CU?
32amp
Is the main CU circuit RCD protected?
No

What's the distance between the house and the outbuilding?
Approx 18m

Do you have a TN-C-S supply?
Without tampering with the Utilites side it seems so.

Are there extraneous-conductive-parts in the outbuilding?
Not sure what you mean

If you dont know about exporting the earth you certainly shouldnt be doing it.

so extraneous-conductive parts is an alternative earth that the new unit should be hooked up to aswell as the main consumer unit earth??

thanks for the explaination.
The garage isn't serviced or connected to anything apart from the 4mm Armoured cable which i will hopefully get to connect to the consumer unit once i establish if my diagram is correct.

Regards

if the garage is of metal construction the IT needs to be bonded..

from ythe picture, unless they are specifically numberd like that, you have the neutrals crossed but otherwise it looks good.. ( keep the circuits in the same order on earth and neutral bars

The garage is constructed of brick with wooden trusses and slate and ashphalt roof.

Many thanks, is this better?
electricnn3.jpg

Hello,

I realise this is a very old post, but just wanted to comment a little.

I do not use this forum anymore as I found too many people were interested in making you look silly and just wanted to show how clever they were (i.e Ban-all-sheds).

Its a shame as forums are a great place to gain advice.

I now use another forum and find them far more relaxed, they still tell you if you say something silly, but will not make you feel silly! They then take the time to help you with your question so that you can learn and be safe.

I apologise for naming one of the more experienced users of this forum (i.e Ban all sheds). I expect they are very experienced and knowledgeable but I dont think their approach aids safety, it just makes you feel silly and look elsewhere, or just try it without the help of a forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back