Installing a Consumer Unit in Garage

ban-all-sheds-

Its 5 core 2.5mm Amour Cable

I must admit I am not farmiluar with all the legislation, but I do no how to design a basic ring circuit. 2.5mm twin & earth doing the loop and I have not done the lighting yet, wanted to get the sockets done first.

All my cables are going to just lay on the surface of the garage wall, running to the top of the trusses and along the wall plate to keep it nice and tidy.

I dont know what circuits need RCD protection, but the consumer unit has an RCD in it.

Regarding testing, I was planning on just pushing the test button :)

Jason

Sponsored Links
The 5 core could probably be used, but what are you going to do with the spare cores? It is also likely that the cores are the wrong colour, so will need sleeving or tape to identify them correctly.

Installations should be designed and installed using the correct materials and equipment. A 5 core cable is not suitable for a single phase supply, and in this case the correct cable can be purchased for less than £10, so why not do the job properly?

Sponsored Links
You could not earth the armour if protecting it by RCD, but then the earth return path would include the shovel, and you.
More nonsense.

We'll call it more sensationalism I think, more of a comply or die notice to the OP ;) . You're quite right that he wouldn't make a return path of himself, but he'd still get a shock.

Sorry yes I was assuming an RCD may be required when running the cable to satisfy 522.6.6, but it's OK if the OP doesn't have that problem.

The armour is only an exposed conductive part if you choose to expose it.

Spark's right though, BS5467 does recommend earthing of the armouring in one of the annex's, but it's not a must.

Even this being the case though, I would always earth the armour, and would not condone doing otherwise.

Ban-All-Sheds - Yes I know how to design a ring circuit, and no I do not want to comply with building regs as it does not apply in my garage. I don't know why I got two 32a MCB's but ive swapped the 32amp for a 6 amp today (i think 32amp is too much for a couple of lights).

I'm sure you think you know how to design a circuit but your comments and answers to questions raised do not appear to suggest you do. You seem to have determined the protection rating and cable sizes before determining the design current - what is it?

What correction factors have you applied. Are you sure the cable length and size complies with the voltage drop limits - what are they?

I personally feel you should get someone in who knows what they are doing.

You asked for some guidance - do a google search for " iet wiring garage" it might give you some clues.

Is this a wind up?

Jason

I think you need to read some of the Ban-all-Shed previous postings, I think what you will conclude is that he sets out to save people from themselves in terms of both safety and legality, abiet in a slightly cantankerous manner.

You would do well to pay attention.

Anyone can get electricity to work, but doing it safely is all so much more difficult.

That is why there are 3 year courses to be an electrician. Even then those who have just sat the exams will seek advice and do a page full of calculations before doing the task that you are wanting advice on.

I mean; if your wife had a toothache would you reach for your cordless drill and have a bash after reading a few post on DENTALnot.com?

It is your shed not mine. Hope this helps.

Martin

I must admit I am not farmiluar with all the legislation, but I do no how to design a basic ring circuit. 2.5mm twin & earth doing the loop
Why is 2.5mm² OK for a 32A breaker?

Is 2.5mm² always OK?

All my cables are going to just lay on the surface of the garage wall, running to the top of the trusses and along the wall plate to keep it nice and tidy.
What about the SWA between the house and garage?

What button is that?

What tests get carried out when you press it?

Do you know what type of supply do you have, and whether there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the garage?

The armour is only an exposed conductive part if you choose to expose it.
The armour isn't double insulated tho??
Spark's right though, BS5467 does recommend earthing of the armouring in one of the annex's, but it's not a must.
Annex B.7 says that provision should be made for the earthing of the armour to the main earth system at the supply end....

It may only be a recommendation but as the intended purpose of the armour is for the circuit protective conductor I'm not going to argue otherwise.

Afaik the inner makeup of the cable doesn't constitute double insulation, some sizes only have a ribbon type material in there.

my armour is double insulated

I must admit I am not farmiluar with all the legislation, but I do no how to design a basic ring circuit. 2.5mm twin & earth doing the loop
Why is 2.5mm² OK for a 32A breaker?

Is 2.5mm² always OK?

What about the SWA between the house and garage?

What button is that?

What tests get carried out when you press it?

Do you know what type of supply do you have, and whether there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the garage?

Do you know that as long as you have live and neutral supplying an rcd, and no other cables coming from it that it would 'trip' if the test button was pressed?????

Do you know that when you press the test button on an RCD? The test button is only there for checking the internal mechanism of the RCD still mechanically functions.

Your RCD is supposed to operate under fault conditions within certain times dependent on the level of fault current, for example a 30mA RCD will need to operate within 200mS @ 30mA of fault current. this test needs to be done twice on different phase rotations, also this RCD requires to be tested at 150mA and is required to operate within 40mS, also this test needs to be done twice, then to ensure of no nuicance tripping it is tested at 15mA (half it's rated operating current) and it should not trip.

What about all the other test results you need to know that the installation is safe such as

verification of main equipotential bonding conductor(s)
PSC
Ze
Zs
R1R2
loop continuity resistance readings on you ring final circuit
Insulation resistance
RCD operating times

Do you know that cables need supporting and securing so that they cant be damaged or pulled ect.

Do you know that cables grouped together, run in thermal insulation ect cannot dissapate heat as easy and their current carrying capacity becomes derated by such methods of installation.

Are you planning on running a trunking or conduit down to the socket outlets from them being CLIPPED SECURLY along the top of the wall?

If not then these cables wont have any mechanical protection, if you do that this also has a detrimental effect on the cable and also derates it.

Extreme cases of this can make a ring final circuit be required to be ran in 6,0mm cable or more.

I would suggest that you employ the services of a qualified electrician that can certify and notify his own work for this job, it is too large a scope with too many factors that you havent even considered and dont understand for you or almost any DIYer. I dont mean this in a nasty way, it's just that electrical work is quite complicated, not so much the installation (although sometimes it can be more than dificult) but the design and calculations required to design circuits that operate safely and as designed can be very complicated. thats why a properly apprenticed electrician has spent 3 to 5 years doing courses and has spent almost upto £1000 on test equipment and uncountable amounts of money on other hand and power tools. if the cost aspect of doing this job is making you do it yourself and you beleive you can learn all that is relevant then i think it would still be cheaper to employ someone to do the job rather than buy the test equipment. This work is notifiable and the LABC are to be notified before you start the work, the cost on this can be £200 i beleive, it varies from council to council. If this is ignored the penalty could be a fine of £5000. there are other implications to be aware of when selling your property too.

The electrician may let you do some of the work yourself to save you some money, although that shouldnt be the deciding factor on who you choose to do the job. Get minimum of three quotes, ensure you know exactly what you want so you have an identical spec being quoted for.

You need to then chose the person that you can afford but someone you feel you have a good rappour with, that you trust and feel confident to let work in your home.

DIY in my mind is about adding additional sockets where allowed, replacing lights ect. not installing sub main circuits and installing complete circuits with no idea of design calcs and factors and no idea of testing.

The fact that there are two layers of insulation does not mean any electrical item is double insulated in the meaning of the regulations, it has to be manufactured to a different standard (BS 2754 : 1976) and carry the symbol for double insulation. Not just simply have two layers of insulation

That is the only way to tell if an item is classII or not. No symbol treat as ClassI

Hope this helps

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back