Garage refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm almost done renovating a house so my attentions will soon be turning to the abomination of a garage we have...

The actual structure is fine but I want to replace the roof for two reasons: it's asbestos and it's ugly. Also needs a new door. I don't intend on using the garage for much, it just needs to look better.

I don't want to handle any asbestos myself so want to get a registered firm to deal with it and then replace with a new roof.

Also, the house itself has an apex roof and while the current garage roof is flat (though sloped down from front to back), an apex would fit in very nicely, I don't want an entire new apex roof because it's unneeded expense just for aesthetics. So, can you get fascias give the illusion of an apex from the front?

Any ideas on price for a new door, fascias, removal and disposal of the asbestos and replacement with a new roof?

Any suggestions or help are much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the wall structure of the garage, especially the front facade?

It's a pre-cast sectional garage, so constructed with concrete and wooden door with wood frame. No other fascia.

Re: Diagram, yes that's the idea though the roof slopes down towards the back if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
My opinion; forget it.

You haven't said what material the roof is.
I reckon anything you put there will always look like a ill-thought out addition, at best.
At worst, it could blow down in a strong wind, unless it's a completely new roof. But the walls aren't going to be that good to fix any restraints to.

The current structure doesn't look ill-thought out, it's just old and needs refreshing so I don't see any reason why a refurb would make it look worse?

Just adding a new door would make it look 100 times better and I want to replace the asbestos roof with a safer alternative. Only going through the options....

Sorry jamie, I was just commenting on the false pitched roof idea.
Ceratinly a new door, even a coat of paint on the garage walls won't go amiss.

The roof is not strong enough to take any new structure on top.

Rather than having the asbestos roof removed (which will be expensive) have you considered painting it, maybe with a rubberised paint? A dark green or black would probably look good and then it also wouldn't be "dangerous".

Rather than having the asbestos roof removed (which will be expensive) have you considered painting it, maybe with a rubberised paint? A dark green or black would probably look good and then it also wouldn't be "dangerous".

The main issue I have with the roof is getting the house revalued. We've done a huge amount of work to the property so I don't want anything like an asbestos roof proving to be problem in getting the highest revalue possible.

I don't know, would that affect a revaluation?

I'm with StephenW on this. The asbestos sheet used on garage roofs is not the really dangerous stuff as it is cement bonded. I would doubt that it would affect a valuation as there must be thousands of asbestos garage roofs still out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back