Garage repairs including asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a house with a nice double garage but it has a concrete / asbestos roof (confirmed during survey). The vast majority is fine but there is one section which has cracked and has a gap of around 20-30mm. Also the exterior has seen better days and some of the vertical pillars have their internal metal rods showing which doesn't look too promising!

I'm not sure whether to knock down the old garage, which means I'll just bodge the crack for now and save up to get it all rebuilt. If its not worth the hassle then I'll just patch up the concrete pillar on the outside and get it reroofed this / next year.

I am thinking to bodge the repair to use the tape that plasterers use to bridge plasterboard, gaffer tape over that and then use roof mastic roof repair to waterproof it all. Would that work ok through a british winter?

Here are some pics, could you give me some advice on what you'd do?

Garage

Cracking to pillar

Crack in roof

Crack in roof2

Many thanks

PS garage is 22ft deep by 16ft wide so pretty big / expensive to rebuild!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back