Garage Replacement options.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a old cement board/wood/asbestos garage at the rear of my house that i am looking to replace. Its approx 32 ft in length by 8ft wide.

This is currently sat on a concrete base which measures 100mm depth.
There is another layer of hardcore below this which ive not measured as yet.

Now just wondering what my options would be.
Looking at either a prefab garage or possibly building one from block. But fear the base will be the factor here.
If i have to adjust the base then that is no issue , its just the best option for the money im looking at tbh. Anything has to be a improvement on current structure !! Just to add there will be no car parked in said garage. Mainly to be used for shed/storage/and motorcycles. :)

Any thoughts and input are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Im doing the same cheapest solution is a second hand prefab after thst its blocks concrete blocks are about £10 per sq meter

Sponsored Links
Would block be on on 4inch slab ?
Just starting to empty my old garahe now .
Be glad to remove it tbh .

Should be as a prefab is just concrete walls anyway so its nesrly like for like
What about the possibility of additional roof weight?

I would not chance a nice new masonry structure on an existing base unless I was confident that the base was man enough. As with most shuttered slabs, the appearance of the thickest concrete will be at the edges.

i did think that if i go concrete block i may end up relaying a new base and footing.

Neighbours prefab garage is fine on same 4inch slab. so that may be the cost effective way to go.

With all respwct its a detached garage not a house if you carnt satisfy youself with the base just cast a footing around it and roof weight that depends on what you chose to do lightest and fastest is metal sheet they will be lighter than the current roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back