Garage Roller Shutter Door Insulation Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I would like to create some sort of insulation / sound proofing where my roller shutter door is. The door will not get used very often maybe once every 3 - 4 months or so. I would like to have my garage as a mini gym. However i want to insulate where my garage door is. I was thinking of screwing 4x2 to either side of the door where the walls are, getting some kingspan insulation and possibly glueing it to two lengths of mdf/plywood + paint it white? i dont want it looking an eyesore but i want it soundproofed or soundproofed as much as poss.

Has anyone got any ideas? below ive attached a photo, hope someone can come up with a nice idea. I want it so i can remove the insulation / timber quite easily say unscrewing 10 screws would be ample

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Greatly appreciate any help :)

Sponsored Links
Without any deeper thought your idea sounds feasible, but is the rest of the garage insulated ? If not, then not terribly useful.

hi yes rest of garage is insulated thats why i wanna insulate garage door also otherwise the rest seems a waste also :) got 6 inch on ceiling and 2 inch kingspan on walls. what thickness timber and also what type mdf or ply? i want to be able to remove it in one go etc like slide it out the way etc.

thanks for your help :)

OK, but that apart are you going to be putting any artificial heat into the garage , if so how much?

I've read that a body just moving around produces something like 200 W, so believe that exercising might make 600 W which isn't a lot in a garage when the ambient starts dropping.

Sponsored Links
you could put some thin ply to the kingspan and make a sandwitch which you could then screw to your 4"2 and then you can just unscrew it when access is required

hi catlad thats a great idea i dont want nothing big bulky and heavy so i can see that working :) what thickness ply would you recommend buddy

well that depends on how many weights you have been lifting :LOL: seriously though 9mm will do I think when you go to buy the ply see if you can lift it all together if you intend on moving it yourself and you can also screw some handles on when its finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back