insulated internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm building a bit of a man-cave thing in my garage and I think I'm just about on top of all the usual complicated stuff, but just can't find an insulated internal door that's not silly money. The entrance is from within the garage, so I don't really need an external door, just something that's thermally efficient and reasonably soundproof. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I like a fire door. Being thicker and solid, with lots of mass, it is good at muffling sound, especially if you use the furry pile smoke strip, which also blocks draughts. They are widely available, if appearance is not important you might get a free or cheap used one, if you are strong enough to carry it. The pink expanding foam can be used to seal any gap between the frame and the wall. which muffles sound and blocks draughts.

It might not matter for your cave, but a fire door is required when a garage (containing petrol and oil) opens into a house.

Thanks John. I did think about a fire door but as its hanging off a stud wall I was worried about the weight. Do you think a 4x2 stud would be ok?

Sponsored Links
I think you will need a fire door lining as well, they are available in a couple of widths to suit the finished wall thickness. You will screw it to the studwork, preferably while constructing it. I think 4x2 will be plenty.

BTW, due to the weight, I strongly recommend lift-off hinges for a fire door. They will be very handy while you trial-fit, plane and re-fit, and even more when you take it off for redecorating or to lay carpet. Try IronmongeryDirect.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back