Garage sockets - IP rate kit mandatory/recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do all sockets installed in a garage need to IP rated e.g. MK weatherseal type of socket?

I ask because people I know with newish build (90s) houses, their sockets and switch in the garage are of that type or cheaper equiv. But older properties I've seen have all sorts in the garage e.g. metal sockets and some even standard plastic ones.

Am I seeing this trend for IP rated sockets/switches due to a modern reg? If its not a reg, then what is advisable for a typical tools/car storage use garage? Maybe this is more of a dust than a water issue re: IP sockets?

EDIT: Forgot to say, garage is seperate out-building not integral to house.

Sponsored Links
It's an environment issue, if your garage is damp and/or dusty it would be much wiser to use an IP rated outlet.
If there is a chance of mechanical damage as in a workshop environment a metal outlet would be better than a plastic one.
Common sense

Sponsored Links
416.2.3 A barrier or enclosure shall be firmly secured in place and have sufficient stability and durability to maintain the required degree of protection and appropriate separation from live parts in the known conditions of normal service, taking account of relevant external influences.

This is how it is worded. And one has to consider if the item is likely to be damaged. My garage integral with house had a hard plastic consumer unit when new which would easily be damaged and had no separate isolator so if damaged only course of action would be to remove the main incoming fuse.

However in the 30 years I have lived here I don't know of one accident where the consumer unit has been damaged so clearly there was not a problem.

As to damp then any garage which has damp would not be fit for purpose as it would likely damage the car it is designed to protect. So you should not really need to protect against damp.

However spiders do seem to be able to get into very small holes and so it would seem prudent where areas are not cleaned regular to use IPXXD would seem minimum requirement unless you want spiders tripping the RCD.

As to IP rated that seems an odd statement! IPXXA means it is protected from access with the back of your hand and you could not put a 50 mm diameter sphere through any holes. This would protect very little and one does need to say what the IP rating needs to be. IP68 is the highest protection for items protection against the effects of continuous immersion in water under conditions agreed with a manufacturer.

With the regulations IPXXB, IP2X, IPXXD, IP4X, IP5X, IP33, IPX8, IPX7, IPX6, IPX5, IPX4, IP44, IP54, and IP3X are all referred to the first 4 are most common in the book. Farm outside lights needs IP54 and that is normally considered as the minimum requirement for any equipment used outside. If garage sockets complied with IP54 that to my mind would be ample although it would not stop spiders.

The IK code could be more important. Impact resistance. For caravan sites IK08 is required (AG3) and that seems to be only IK rating used in the book with an impact resistance of 5 joules so to say IK ratted when only one value is used throughout the book does make some sense.

If garage sockets complied with IP54 that to my mind would be ample although it would not stop spiders.

Being almost entirely dust proof isn't good enough to stop a spider big enough to actually short out a socket? IP4X would probably be sufficient to stop that..

If garage sockets complied with IP54 that to my mind would be ample although it would not stop spiders.

Being almost entirely dust proof isn't good enough to stop a spider big enough to actually short out a socket? IP4X would probably be sufficient to stop that..
You are right of course. My point was IP rating is just a handy way to qualify protection and unless the 2, 3, or 4 figures or letters are included the IP rating means nothing.

Thanks for this and apologies for the inaccurate terminology regarding "IP rating". The points raised about spiders get me thinking about drain holes.

I understood that it's good practice to drill a couple of drain holes incase small amounts of water get in somehow over time. For example in one of these used as JB on an external wall.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14556...ction-Boxes/IP65-Adaptable-Box-80-x-80-x-52mm

Or external outlet e.g. MK weatherseal.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20430.../MK-Masterseal-IP56/Masterseal-IP56-2G-Sw-Skt

But then little creatures e.g. spiders would invade.

What is the consensus view - would you drill drainage holes for the above reason, or not drill incase it damage the mfr IP rating?

I guess internally if it's mainly dust as the concern you would not drill them.

FIRST DIGIT
The first digit indicates the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts (e.g., electrical conductors, moving parts) and the ingress of solid foreign objects.

1 >50 mm Any large surface of the body, such as the back of a hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part
2 >12.5 mm Fingers or similar objects

3 >2.5 mm Tools, thick wires, etc.

4 >1 mm Most wires, screws, etc.

5 dust protected Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact

6 dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact

SECOND DIGIT
Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water

1 dripping water Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.

2 dripping water when tilted up to 15° Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.

3 spraying water Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.

4 splashing water Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.

5 water jets Water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

6 powerful water jets Water projected in powerful jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

7 immersion up to 1 m Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

8 immersion beyond 1 m The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer.
NOTE: Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that produces no harmful effects.

if you drill drain holes this would in fact null the ip rating.

I would not drill holes in a box unless there has been a problem with water due to condensation in conduit etc.

To my mind if a garage needs out door equipment there is something very wrong with garage unless your power washing your motor bike inside the garage!

A garage for storing a car would normally have same as in your house. A garage for repairing a car would likely have metal clad sockets.

click for link.

So if there are drain holes I guess they should be drilled out?

Afterall holes are already being drilled to screw the outlet or JB on the wall.

Perhaps if drill holes are marked then it's ok to drill and maintain the full IP rating otherwise not advisable? :confused:

So if there are drain holes I guess they should be drilled out?
If you think they'll be needed. Also you're expected to use common sense and not drill holes in the top of the enclosure just because they are marked.

Afterall holes are already being drilled to screw the outlet or JB on the wall.
With MK Masterseal enclosures the mounting holes are outside the IP rated section.

Perhaps if drill holes are marked then it's ok to drill and maintain the full IP rating otherwise not advisable? :confused:
Check if the maker specifies different ratings depending on whether you drill or not.

washing car outside garage, trip over hose and it gets pointed at socket....

Yeah...your neighbour is doing the gardening , trips over, lands in a wheelbarrow which rolls into your grandma's wheelchair which careers down the slope outside the garage crashing into your home brewing kit which splashes beer at the socket..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back