Garage Strip light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you normally run a strip light in a garage width or length ways please?

I have a double socket in the way of it being length ways.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• DD7C07BF-941C-42F3-B614-AC56F56E6E99.jpeg
    DD7C07BF-941C-42F3-B614-AC56F56E6E99.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Generally parallel to the longest wall.

Sockets can be moved, light could be positioned a short distance either side or fixed in some other way.
There is a whole world of choices.

Normally as said above.
Could be off to the side?
Hung on a drop like a chain or some studding?

When I had strip lights I used one along the length towards the main door and one across the other end, forming a T.
That lit the end where the bench and tools are.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I went for a T too.

Light above brench at dark end.
Light the length of a car ensuring the door doesn’t cover the light output

Thank you in advance
A lot depends on what you use the garage for.

One I did 4 rows of 3 4ft flou across a 6m*6m garage, another double was 2 rows of 2 5ft along the length. Another a 5ft across the end over the bench. etc

It also depends on what there is to fix to.

At the end of the exercise it's what works for you.

A lot depends on what you use the garage for.
That is the main point, I did have the T arrangement in my old garage, father-in-law had them either side and in the pit, about 18" in from wall so wall cupboards did not shield the light. Others I have seem them mounted vertical in the corner so you can see under the car. My garage was too narrow to really work under the car, it was only any good as a workshop and store.

That is the main point, I did have the T arrangement in my old garage, father-in-law had them either side and in the pit, about 18" in from wall so wall cupboards did not shield the light. Others I have seem them mounted vertical in the corner so you can see under the car. My garage was too narrow to really work under the car, it was only any good as a workshop and store.
A friend purchased a new build with integral garage, 6' 1" wall to wall and a 4½ pillar encroaching into that as does the up and over door frame... yeah really useful for a car.

Thank you in advance

That depends upon what the garage is intended to be used for, the ceiling height and type. If it's just a light to see enough to park a car, then almost any light position will do, however I make use of mine for working on the car, plus I have a workshop extension - all flat roofed, timber supported. I have it wired as three banks of lights, two in garage, one in workshop. Too avoid the lights being damaged, the lights are fixed to the sides of the beams, which means the lights are across the width. Unused space between the timbers, is made use of to store spare timber lengths, pipes, steel and angle, by fixing a bit of timber between the beams.

Traditionally, workbenches were lit by strip lights, which were fitted diagonally, at 45 degrees to the bench.

If you want decent lighting, then the minimum for that is usually satisfied by having at least two, to minimise shadows.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back