Garage wall lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a sectional concrete garage built (22ft x 10ft) and in this weather the walls (painted with masonary paint) are freezing so the car/ tools/ etc are covered in damp.
I was thinking of lining the inside walls with wood panels and have seen some WEYROC P5 V313 18MM MOISTURE CHIPBOARD - would this be ok for lining?

I also heard you can but some lining clips which fix to the bolts holding the concrete panels together instead of drilling into the concrete - where are these bought?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Was the concrete base laid recently too? What's the roof made of?

Chipboard isn't the best product for use in a damp place, even the MR stuff. Plywood or OSB would be better, but to stop the condensation, you need to ventilate just as much as anything else.

Don't know about the clips, but angle brackets fixed over the bolts, with timber battens attached to these, would do the same job.

50mm of insulation behind 6mm ply would do a reasonable job of poshing up the inside and kepping it a few degrees warmer than the outside. But unless you do the roof as well...

You would also lose about 90mm of internal space all the way round.

The base was laid july this year and has been painted with an epoxy paint.
The roof is an apex with the concrete type sheets, inside i've lined this with polystyrene sheets
garage2.jpg

100_0386.jpg

Looking good!

The asbestos type sheeting is breathable to some degree. I painted the inside of mine in places with bitumen paint, the painted areas drip condensation back into the garage whereas the unpainted areas do not. So your fixing of the polystyrene is stopping any moisture from escaping (permeating through the roof)
The moisture may be coming from a source (tumble drier, wet clothes, wet car?) or could just be trapped and going round in a vapour/condensation cycle. You need to increase ventilation, maybe even using a fan to extract air. Some background heating would certainly help.

Doing something like running a heater for a couple of hours, then running a extract fan for a couple of hours to remove the warm, moist air, would help to clear it up. (Logic being that warm air 'holds on' to moisture, whereas cold air doesn't, and so it collects on cold surfaces as condensation)

An electric heater would be more beneficial than gas, as gas tends to give off moisture as it burns.

You could also use a largeish dehumidifier.

Sponsored Links
I use a small oil filled radiator (as can just be seen in the pics) when i'm in there for a while but was thinking of a de-humidifier.
I had 1 a few years ago (previous garage) and it must have been an indoor 1 as when the temps were really cold it would freeze up and eventually died :(

Just trying to find 1 which will be suitable and cheap to buy/ run proves complicated as different websites quote different thing? any ideas?

There is a gap under the front door and there is a metal side door near the back which has gaps in/ around so there should be plenty of airflow

To get proper airflow, air needs a way in and a way out, side to side or end to end is better then side to end. I.Y.K.W.I.Mean.

Cutting some holes in the doors and fitting some 9x3 slot vents might help some.

A dehumidifier would work better in a warm room, if the air in said room is already cold, there will be little moisture within it to extract. So you'd be better off heating the room before running the dehumidifier. Absortion types work better in cold areas than refrigeration based units.
Either way you are going to have to heat the room, extraction via a fan would be cheaper to run (and cheaper to buy) although would require installation.

Do you put a damp car in there? (nice workshop btw). As others have said your problem is probably lack of ventilation, just popping some wood in there will just end up with damp wood.

Do you put a damp car in there? (nice workshop btw). As others have said your problem is probably lack of ventilation, just popping some wood in there will just end up with damp wood.

Sometimes the car is put in wet

when the car is dried ready for polishing the next day i find the sides are damp when i apply the polish - seems to be the walls are too cold?

ok getting around to this in the next week or 2
So the best lining is plywood fixed with wooden battons with angle brackets (where can i get these?).
For better insulation i should use kingspan, etc slid behing the plywood.
If condensation is still a problem then air vents placed at opposite ends should help?

Thanks for your help

Screwfix\Toolstation for bracketry. Plywood tougher but not as fire resistant as plasterboard. Concrete shell though so fire prob not much of an issue.

Also not mentioned so far is insulation backed plasterboard which can be fixed with PB fixing foam in a can.

Appologies for resurrecting an old thread but could anyone tell me where I can buy lining clips? Any ideas on rough cost of the clips?

Thanks,

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back