Garage/Workshop Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation: I am in the process of moving to another house and it has an existing 5m x 3m asbestos/cement garage.

The garden is approx 9 Mts wide, leaving 5m x 5m for a new single 7N breeze block workshop. This is up to the 30 sq/m planning requirement size.

The garage is 10m from the house wall. The whole workshop will not exceed 1/2 of the size of the garden.

Question: If I replace the garage with a brick one, would this increase the size of the whole project to 45 sq/m ? Or is it just the new building that is taken into consideration.

I am going to dig 600mm+ for the foundations,300mm thick C20 concrete on a compacted hardcore base. Calculations seem to say 14 tons for the blockwork alone.

This was posted on someone elses message, and could have been classed as hijacking it, so I have reposted here.

It will be topped with a Green Mineral roof becasue I can't see the need for a pitched one, even thought the space would be nice.

After a preliminary talk to the planning office, they said that probabilities are that it will not require Planning or BR's but it is better if they see it first ( by means of a sketch ) and a written decision will be given. Helpful if neighbours complain at the end. They were extremely helpful.

Regards

Nick - Hull

Sponsored Links
You've more or less answered your own question in your last paragraph. Don't make the roof flat, put a slope on it even if it's only 15 degs or so.

Hi Deluks, yes I know about answering my self all too much. Being a new poster, I put a version of this message on someone elses thread, and it never got any answers.

Therfore, I started a new thread, adding information that I have gleaned from elsewhere. I thought that other people might give me information, but there we go.

I am getting there slowly, although I do think that my posts will become more like a blog, as I will be updating my own information...

I have done my own flat roof on my old workshop, with a slight pitch, and it has worked well for the last 10 years. I hate to see flat roofs with standing water on them, there is no reason for that at all.

Regards

Nick

If you are rebuilding or replacing parts of an existing structure to its exising size and appearance then it is maintenance.

If you are laying new foundations and renewing everything, then it may be classed as 'development' and therefore technically require planning permission - and building regs if applicable

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody, I hope it doesn't. After a word with the planning dept I was told that I can build whatever size I want as long as it is up to 3M hi for a flatroof, and 4M hi for a pitched because it is over 10M away from the main building and no more than half the size of the sum of the front and rear garden.

Sounds like a college lesson.

I asked about the 1M boundary wall rule, and he said that was not to be considered any more and was outdated..MMM, I still put one in anyways because the structure was getting a bit on the big side 6M x 6M workshop when I am only used to a 5M x 3M.

I sent some plans into them for a prelim, and hopefully they will comment on them in the positive.

Cheers

Nick

Newsflash !!!

Looks like I do require planning permission afterall, based on

" The structure being closer to a highway than the main building "

They are classing a cycle track as a highway. It backs onto the house at the rear. They said that the actual size of the proposed building does not cause concern.

So, if I need planning permission, would I still have to get building regs to approve the building as it is a garden shed or garage below 30sqm ??

Surely not, they say I do, but I think it comes under no BC....

Thanks for all the replies, it is a relief that I do not need BR. I would never have guessed that I needed to do what you said.

Saved me a lot of time, and money. Don't you just love these forums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back