Garage Workshop Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage which has one strip light and one electrical socket. I want to have a proper set of lighting and sockets wired in. With a dedicated supply to the garage and a seperate circuit breaker/consumer unit. I have produced a plan which shows all the rings I require and where the sockets and switches should go. I want one lighting ring, one socket ring and then two dedicated higher amp rings for a table saw and dust collector. I want to save as much money as I can on this project, but obviously doing the work myself is out of the question. I wonder what the best things to do are to save money?

I want to install stud walls with plaster/peg board and I want the switches, circuit breakers etc mounted on the board, and the cable run behind. This is going to mean the electritian will have to come and run the cable, then I will have to attach the boards, and the electrictrian will come back and connect everything up. Is there any way round this? Would it cost me less if the cable was routed on the board in ducting? Surely that way I could put the walls up first and the electrictrian would only have to come once?

Is it cheaper for me to supply the wiring and sockets etc, or get them from the electrictian?

Sorry for the long post, I hope you have some ideas?

Sponsored Links
iwaters said:
I want one lighting ring, one socket ring and then two dedicated higher amp rings for a table saw and dust collector. I want to save as much money as I can on this project, but obviously doing the work myself is out of the question. I wonder what the best things to do are to save money?
You don't need a ring circuit for the lights or the dedicated 16A supplies. Radials are fine, and are the norm for those circuits.

Just to point out, you could do the work yourself if you consider yourself competent and you notify your BCO before you start the work.

iwaters said:
I want to install stud walls with plaster/peg board and I want the switches, circuit breakers etc mounted on the board, and the cable run behind. This is going to mean the electritian will have to come and run the cable, then I will have to attach the boards, and the electrictrian will come back and connect everything up. Is there any way round this? Would it cost me less if the cable was routed on the board in ducting? Surely that way I could put the walls up first and the electrictrian would only have to come once?
It is common for electricians to make two visits - first fix and then second fix. You may be able to get your electrician to allow you to run the cables yourself but you must check with him first. You could surface mount the cables using mini-trunking or conduit but it wouldn't work out much cheaper. The labour costs saved will be spent on the additional materials etc.

iwaters said:
Is it cheaper for me to supply the wiring and sockets etc, or get them from the electrictian?
Electricians can generally get the parts cheaper than you can plus they know what they like working with and will know exactly what they need. If you forget one little thing then he's going to have to make a trip out anyway so you might as well just leave it to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back