Wiring my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. I am trying to bring power into my garage, but I am a little unsure about the best method.

There is a dedicated cable (6mm I think), from the main circuit board in the house, and it has its own breaker, fuse etc...

The cable comes into the garage, but then stops, I want to use this to bring power to the garage. I am thinking of a couple of strip lights and a few double sockets for things like lawnmowers etc..

I am not sure if it should be a ring main or radial etc..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You're aware this work is notifiable to your local council's building control?

You should terminate the end of that cable in a 2-way consumer unit, with an RCD (if there isn't already one at the house) Then run a 16A radial to some sockets, and a 5A lighting circuit.

What sort of cable is used? and where does it run?

You're aware this work is notifiable to your local council's building control?

No I wasn't, but I shall take care of that.

You should terminate the end of that cable in a 2-way consumer unit, with an RCD (if there isn't already one at the house) Then run a 16A radial to some sockets, and a 5A lighting circuit.

The cable runs from an RCD in the house, to the garage. What do you mean by a two way consumer unit. With just one cable running into the garage, do I have to fit an RCD at the garage end of the cable with two differently rated fuses, 16A and 5A and simple run the radial to some sockets and the lighting circuit?

What sort of cable is used? and where does it run?

The cable from the house is approximately 6mm square and runs underground. It was installed when the house was built in 1993.

Thanks for your help

The "RCD" in the house - does it have a test button? Or is it really an MCB?
MCB:
HGMT106X.JPG

RCD:
MK5780.JPG

The cable - does it have strands of steel wire around it like this:
SW6SLASH2.JPG

Or Does it run in metal conduit? One or the other is fine, but twin and earth - normal cable - is wholly unsuitable for burial.

And a mini consumer unit:
p2367767_x.jpg

(the RCD can be replaced with a main switch if it transpires that you DO, in fact, have an RCD at the house!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the helpful pictures. The cable is connected to an RCD in the house, at the garage end of the cable, there is nothing but the exposed cable. (I have isolated the circuit). The cable is just like the one in the picture, with the shielding wire around the core of the cable.

Brilliant advice.

I have now completed the work, and have power in the garage. The most important thing though, is that it is safe.

Fitted all the necessary circuit breakers etc.. correct wiring.

Thanks for all your help

Best Wishes :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back