garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason a garage cannot be timber framed? Or just a glorified shed to keep a car in?

At my new house, there is a driveway at the back of the garden, and high steel (but fairly flimsy) gates. I was thinking of replacing the gates with a solid solution of some sort, and erecting a car port over the drive, but then the thought struck me that I might as well go the whole hog and have a garage (which would only involve one whole wall being built). I could built a wooden structure myself.

Capture-12.jpg

This is a photo of the area from the pavement (the best I could get from . . erm . . my camera . . . ) Anyway, the fences I'd be replacing when funds are available, so I might as well build them up into walls for an enclosed car parking area. The base would also be built better (the gates have a wooden threshold how odd) either concrete or tarmac or blocks.

Any ideas? Bear in mind, funds are very tight, I'd prefer a DIY solution.

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason a garage cannot be timber framed? Or just a glorified shed to keep a car in?

Like this

A carport would be cheaper, more daylight, and give you more room to swing a cat, but less secure so you wouldn't be able to store tools and such so you'd still need a seperate shed.

carport

For the gates, build up the brick side pillars and hang some timber doors off of them. You'll be able to get a pair of timber garage doors for under £150. You could also just keep the existing gates and fix plywood or bamboo screen to them, for privacy.

If the pillars aren't substancial then you'll need a chunky timber across the top of the gates to stop the brickwork from cracking from the weight of the doors/gates.

Are you talking about putting a structure on top of the existing garden walls?

What is the difference between a car port with a fence going up near the roof and a garage?

The larch panels to the left of your gate wouldn't offer much security but the fence to the right of the gate looks more suitable.

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads.

OK, here's what I'm thinking now.

Replace the gates with solid wooden ones on more substantial pillars fixed to the walls and crossed on top.

Build a car port with the left hand supports fixed to the wall in order to provide support for a new fence at that side.

Replace the fence to the left with a more solid fence to a height of 6ft above ground. Above this to the carport roof, fix square trelliswork all the way along.

The carport would meet the property boundary on 3 sides, therefore mostly closed in. I have a shed to keep tools and a bike in.

What would be the best material to use to cover the roof? Corrugated plastic? Clear or black? What about snow loading? I cant see this stuff being very strong (though my structure will be ;) )

My main concern is that the walls dont appear very sound.

I'm really just after ideas! I guess I could start with a carport and work from there as funds become available.

You will need planning permission for whatever you do and also i would be concerned about that telephone pole being so close..
Chances are you will have to redo the foundations and walls.. you might want to consider a smaller car port inside the wall boundary.. something prefabricated would be cheapest

You will need planning permission for whatever you do
Really? I thought wooden structures under a certain height were exempt - or does proximity to the property line override this?

and also i would be concerned about that telephone pole being so close..
Why?

Chances are you will have to redo the foundations and walls..
I was thinking that, but if I did redo the walls, I'd have them full height brick.

you might want to consider a smaller car port inside the wall boundary.. something prefabricated would be cheapest
Anything I do will be inside the boundary anyway, fixing the wooden supports to the face of the walls etc.

The drive is only 4.8m from the gate to the back. My car is 4.2m long. So its tight as it is, and the gates will be opening outwards.

Planning will be involved cos your within 2m of a boundary and your fronting onto a highway..

The post was only really a detailing issue, just bear it in mind when you sort out roof overhang and guttering..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back