garages and planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 19m long by 5.7 metre wide garden (see image 1) . I propose to build a garage/shed at the other end from my house. I hope to build it 5.46x5.46m square garage with an eves height of 2250mm, ridge height of 3950mm(see image 2). I have looked at the planning portal website and I feel confused. Would the authorities allow this in principle? Do I have to build 2.5 m from all borders if the eves are 2.5 m high. is the ridge height of 3950 on the center-line of the garden ok. I live in London NW9 and I am not in a conservation area etc. My neighbors have no objections to my proposal.
please help me.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be looking at the permitted development rules.

To be permitted development, then you need to conform to the dimensions stated - ie building away from the boundary and have a certain height. And then you can building without needing to apply for formal permission.

If you want to building closer to the boundary or higher than stated, then it wont be permitted development (but thats not to say it wont be permitted), but just means that you need to apply for formal permission

Whether you will get permission will depend on local planning policy guidelines

Thank you for your reply Woody from Birmingham.
What I wanted to know is that considering that the rules on the 'planning portal 'apply to the whole nation and furthermore the impression I have is that the local council will not stray too far from the national rules, am I likely to get formal permission to build closer to my border than 2.5 metres.
It does not make common sense to only say that buildings of a height greater than 2.5 m have to be built 2.5 metres away from all boundries. This would rule out so many buildings.Surely I must be interprting this incorrectly!

Sponsored Links
What are these guidelines that the local government. Is the public allowed to know what these 'guidelines' are?
Will these guidelines allow me to build a garage with the eves height of 2.5 and a ridge height of 3.95 metres. The walls of the garage I propose need to be about 125 mm from the boundary.

I do not want a flat roof as I believe flat roofs do not last long.

I went to a council 'planning surgery' and the officials there insisted that I am only allowed a flat roof as I can not build any wall of a height greater than 2.5 m unless it is 2.5 m away from all boundries.
I suggested that I would apply for planning permission. his reply was that that will not alter the situation as the rules for 'planning permission ' are the same as for 'permitted development'. STRANGE!

hi
i have exactly the same problem but i am 1m away from the boundary and i have had a visit from the stoke on trent planning enforcement,they told me that i require planning permission but should not be a problem. but as i'm on a sloping site and the lowest point is the boundary ,if i measure from the highest side which has land against it 1m higher. they are still saying i need planning permission on the grounds that it took engineering works to level off. so it would seem that the goal posts can be moved. so you cannot use permitted development unless they say so. the other point is i have a local coucilor who lives the otherside of me whose land is 1m higher than mine at the boundary but then also slopes another 500mm so when they built a garage directly on the boundary. under their rules that they state planning would be required, in this case as they built up the land, the garage viewed from my house is nearly 5m but from the front entrance to their garage is 3.5m , they have confirmed that it was not required for the councilor hey if your face fits. the other statement i was given was that as i had already extended the house previously i had used up all my rights so permitted development was not allowed to me even if i fully complied as i have a large garden the 50% rule would ned me to built 4 houses just to be close. with all this i have asked for this in writing before i make an appeal. i know its probably no help to you,but it goes to show that you are always at there mercy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back