Garden Building/Garage/Seating/whatever else she wants....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so... we're planning what to do with the side of our property.

at the moment we have an integrated garage, which is about to be removed and become a nice kitchen diner, office and utility (not just the garage, more ground floor remodel)

anywhoo, this leaves me without a garage!

we have space down the side of the house which is 3.9m wide and runs from the street, all the way into the back garden - Perfect place for a new garage.

We've just replaced ALL our fencing, which cost a small fortune and whilst is REALLY needed to be done it does leave me with some options as to what to do with the garage plans.

Option 1:
Take out some of the fence panels, build a new brick garage and join the remaining fence to it.

Option 2:
Leave the fence in place, and put a composite/modular garage in the space - which probably sees me having a narrower garage as i'll need to leave 6" edge on the pad for the garage.

Option 3:
Attach a new garage to the side of the house - which isn't a bad option however it makes coming in round the back a bit of a chore and means alot of the things on the external wall would need to be considered i.e. boiler flue, gas box etc etc etc

Now, additional to all this, we want a patio seating area, and a log cabin type structure (I brew beer and miss having a pub to serve it from)

So this leads to another issue of - do we make one large structure and be done with it.

upload_2022-2-24_14-19-55.png

something like this?

which could be on the boundary (subject to planning) or just inside it, leaving the fence in place and make all this from brick so I don't need to worry about getting behind it to stain the ruddy thing....although that also means I wouldn't be able to stain the fence again... hmmm

Now a brick garage is circa £12,000. If I made the pub a log cabin, it's circa £5,000 - plus a pad to sit it on. Then patio etc etc

it's not going to be a cheap project which ever way I go so just hoping to bat some ideas around.

the reason the log cabin is deeper than the garage is the cabin would be in the garden and the garage would need to fit the side of the house and still leave space for a gate (hence the little brown allyway)

any suggestions

Sponsored Links
keep in mind you will need an overhang and gutter at the back this will push it perhaps 200-250mm off the boundary as it must stay on your side and must have a gutter unless you want damp and rot

keep in mind you will need an overhang and gutter at the back this will push it perhaps 200-250mm off the boundary as it must stay on your side and must have a gutter unless you want damp and rot

yeah see with a flat roof garage I can have the roof fall toward the house, and put the gutter on the long edge - which is fine.

I think in reality, I'll be building a brick garage on/next to the boundary. Then another building for the bar...

Sponsored Links
it still need to be off the boundary unless your roof is inside your wall footprint like a parapet roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back