Garden cabin wiring variation

I see. Dare one ask, for what reason this is done, other than possible installation costs of main cabling by the suppliers and (total guess) a way of providing backup should one of the "wires" fail?

Its about efficency, not redundancy.... three phases is an efficent number to generate (and its also an efficent number to use to run motors), its also more efficent to distribute... if I need a 6kw heater... if it was single phase, I'd need two conductors in the conduit each capable of carrying 26A, if I got a three phase one... I'd need 3 capable of carrying 8.7A each (or 4 if I needed a neutral as well)... this plays out at all sections of the network

Sponsored Links
Its about efficency, not redundancy.... three phases is an efficent number to generate (and its also an efficent number to use to run motors), its also more efficent to distribute... if I need a 6kw heater... if it was single phase, I'd need two conductors in the conduit each capable of carrying 26A, if I got a three phase one... I'd need 3 capable of carrying 8.7A each (or 4 if I needed a neutral as well)... this plays out at all sections of the network

Makes sense.
Now is it too late to declare myself as "attractivebrunette" and just go for a bell wire running along a clothes line up to an electric shower (don't worry, I'll protect the connection with masking tape) :rolleyes: :LOL:

If you want to post a picture of your fuseboard and metering area we will see if we can tell you what sort of earthing arrangement you have... TNCS has more stringent requirements for bonding conductors, and if you have metalic services entering the outbuilding (gas lines, etc) then you'll need to bond them, which means the earth in the supply cable also has to meet the requirements for a bonding conductor (which is 10mm copper* for TNCS)

Or if another material, a size which will give equal conductance (and as the ratio is about 1:9 for steel), the chance of armourings meeting it are unlikely!

ah, so you want the college level explanation then.. ;)

it's the way the generators work..

rather then have one coil with it's sides on oposite sides, they have 3, spaced evenly..

View media item 12461
why 3 and not 4, or 5 , or 6? no idea really.. must be a reason but I never asked..

for sinlge phase ( live and neutral ), they'd have to use 2 wires anyway, so adding a 3rd ( and ballancing the loads ) gives them a 300% increase in capacity, but with only an extra 50% outlay..

Sponsored Links
If you want to post a picture of your fuseboard and metering area we will see if we can tell you what sort of earthing arrangement you have... TNCS has more stringent requirements for bonding conductors, and if you have metalic services entering the outbuilding (gas lines, etc) then you'll need to bond them, which means the earth in the supply cable also has to meet the requirements for a bonding conductor (which is 10mm copper* for TNCS)

Or if another material, a size which will give equal conductance (and as the ratio is about 1:9 for steel), the chance of armourings meeting it are unlikely!

Here they are

Hope they suffice. However, I repeat, there are no metal (pipework)services being run to the cabin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back