Garden Eectrics......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a sparky in to put power into the garden for a hot tub we are getting.

I asked about installing some sockets onto the side of our decking at a later date. He told me that would be no problem, waterproof sockets etc...

Thing is he said he would probably come off the ring that is in the garage,under the decking etc...

I would have thought that it would have had to be on a seperate RCD into the fuse box, just like the hot tub power is. Can he come off the ring main in the house? I didnt think anything of it at first but now I am unsure.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Sponsored Links
As long as they are suitably wired and fitted out and the garage is protected by the RCD this should be ok

The arage is protected by an RCD, but not a "Garage" RCD, it is part of the downstairs ring.

bobsp said:
Thing is he said he would probably come off the ring that is in the garage,under the decking etc...

That would be OK......

The arage is protected by an RCD, but not a "Garage" RCD, it is part of the downstairs ring.

But maybe now its not.......

1. Is you garage integral to your house?
2. Is the garage ring cct part of the down stairs ring cct or is it fed from the down stairs ring cct?

Sponsored Links
1) Yes the garage is connected to the house.
2) It is part of the ring, IE not a spur from the downstairs ring.

From the information you've posted your sparks advice seems fine. One point, the works are notifiable so make sure your sparks can self certify. Have fun with the hot tub!

He can self certify, do I need to get a cert for the hot tub work he did?

I will have fun, hopefilly, if we dont get a drought order, (the council have put in for one)

If the hot tubs outside, yes you do. This is the way it works. Your sparks should carry out the testing and give you a test certificate. He then submits the details of your installation to his self certification body. They send the details to your LBC who send you a Building Works Complication Certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back