Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run electric to a summerhouse. Primarily I want to have lighting and perhaps be able to have a small convector heater for cool evenings.

The total run will be about 45 feet from the source. I'm assuming the best and safest way will be to lay armoured cable but I'd welcome any suggestions for an alternative. It will be laid across (under) my lawn.

I already have a Single Gang Outdoor Weatherproof Socket IP55 (it's not 100% weatherproof as the lid doesn't fully close with the plug inserted) in the garden on a power source from my workshop and I'm thinking of replacing that with a fully weatherproof junction box and connecting the cable to that and spuring off from that if I need sockets etc. in the garden for lights.

Would welcome advice on the correct type/size of cable I should use, also the best type of weatherproof junction box which I believe needs to be to to IP56 rating, although I've seen same rated IP55 and even IP44. Also advice on type of glands/connectors I should get.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back