Weatherproof sockets for garden loudspeaker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the new patio was layed I took the opportunity put down some four core SWA cable (armoured) under the slabs, for stereo audio speaker circuits. I haven't quite worked out how to connect this up so would welcome any advice. The idea is to have the cable feeding into a weatherproof box with a gland (C type 20S). There's a good description of installing the gland at http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/armoured1.htm so I think i could manage that. I would like the facility to bring out decent sounding speakers on a fine day and plug them in, but to unplug them after use. Clearly the speakers don't need to be weatherproof but the socket arrangement does. I cant quite work out how to do this, as there don't seem to be any commercially available weatherproof speaker sockets. I guess it needs to be the equivalent of IP44. Haven't yet decided whether to use 1/4 inch jack, XLR or Speakon.

Ideally I need something like a weatherproof box (eg Screwfix 11549 ) but with a hinged lid like the MK Masterseal 13 amp socket box (Screwfix 20430). Seems a bit of a waste buying one of these at £33 to dismantle it and replace the 13amp sockets with eg jack sockets. Any suggestions would be most appreciated? I'm assuming that as its not mains wiring, I don't need Part P.

Sponsored Links
Speakons will be fine. I have them on my boat for both power and speaker use and after 3 years in the salty enviorment they still work fine.

better idea, you want clicky i have two, and some rock speakers, but the plugs will be cheaper

:idea: by 2 extra plugs fill them with silicone and leave them in the sockets

Sponsored Links
Another vote for Speakon connectors. 1/4" jacks just arent robust enough for constant plugging/unplugging, they're fine with instrument cable but with heavy gauge speaker wiring the strain causes the solder joints to come loose over time. XLR connectors were never really designed for use with speakers so that would also fall into the category of stay well away from.

I would be very suprised if you can't get weatherproof caps to cover panel mount Speakon connectors when not in use. Couple this with a weaterproof box and you're sorted!

EDIT: I noticed B&Q were doing masterseal rip-off boxes that were designed for mounting your own faceplates into, might be worth a trip there to find out who manufactures them and then buy elsewhere at a sensible price.

but if you cant thats why i suggest a couple of plugs filled with silicone

Never mind them speakers get some nice JBL control series. They are IP rated and sound great. I have 4 x control 25's set up in my garden and they absolutely rock. Been out side for years and still as good as new.

Bose outdoor speakers are great - they look like the link in the second post.

JBL Control 23/25/28 are also weather proof, and are excellent, but not "hidden".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back