Weatherproof double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have been quoted £60 by my local electrician to install a double weatherproof socket for mowing lawn / strimmer.

I would quite like to source my own socket and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. There seem to be so many out there.

My house (it is brand new) has been fitted with Hager sockets and fuse box so didn't know if I should get the same for outside? If so, it would be this one....

https://www.alertelectrical.com/hag...LsF3XL8BPKGY-5CnwhF0IWcNtV_qX8BRoCBhwQAvD_BwE

Any recommendations would be great.

Sponsored Links
Have just installed an MK Masterseal double rcd switched socket like this:

ae235

Very impressed with the quality and ease of fitting, unlike a lot of other MK stuff I have tried in recent years.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-rcd-socket-active/26746

Blup

The socket shown in the picture is an RCD one and cost £70!. You won't need that for a brand new house as the circuits will already be RCD-protected.
i don't understand why you want to buy your own. The electrician will be able to supply you one for less than you can buy it for. AND he'll be guaranteeing it.

£60 is a bargain for that job. If you can find an electrician who will do ANYTHING for £60 then don't mess around, you'll only p155 him off and he won't come again when you really need him.
Think about it. It's at least an hour plus travelling plus overheads plus parts plus paperwork. Get real, mate.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Agree the Hager is very good value.

Blup

If the OP wanted to fit an active rcd how would that be achieved if the consumer unit is already rcd protected?

Blup

For that money we don't even know if he is a time-served qualified spark with the correct test gear and paperwork.

Why would he need one, for a lawn mower, when the cct is already 30mA RCD protected?
Wanting an active RCD (aka effectively for the 'NVR' switch) is not necessarily related to the RCD protection it provides.

Given that RCD protection is becoming increasingly ubiquitous, so that RCD sockets, are progressively less needed for RCD protection, I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen 'NVR sockets' appear for use with power tools etc. - rather than oblige people who want that functionality in a socket to buy an active RCD one.

Kind Regards, John

I assumed, but didn't know, that rcd's in consumer units are "passive".

I raised the question because the advice on this forum over the years has generally been to extoll the virtues of active rcd's in relation to equipment that could cause the user harm if it (the rcd) remained "on" after the initial loss of power was restored, and the equipment was re-started by the user or itself. That's certainly why I sourced the MK active rcd socket for my own use.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back