Garden Office/Studio - digging downwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
One of my projects for this year is a Garden Office and Recording Studio.
With the 2.5m height restriction, I'm thinking about digging down say 1m to gain some extra headroom. The walls will be post and beam. Is this likely to throw up any problems?

Also, possibly as a future addition. I'm thinking about possibly digging out a room underneath the garden office and possibly going further (if you haven't seen Colin Furze on YouTube, you should check him out. He built an underground bunker at the end of his garden and built a tunnel connecting to his house!).

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason why you don't want to go for planning to go a bit higher? It typically costs £350 all in, and you'll save that with not digging. Keep it >1m from boundary and <30sqm internal and there's no building regs required.

Sponsored Links
Colin Furze has exceptionally unusual ground, it's a soft crumbly stone. Soft enough to dig, supportive enough to stay up, free-draining enough so that water percolates way down into the planet past his bunker and tunnels.

Try doing that in the clay that most of us have and you'll end up with a swampy collapsed mess. If you do build in it then it will flood every time it rains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back