Garden room roof support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to build a garden room which will be 6.6 meters wide and 5 meters long/deep.

I have managed to find joists that are 6 meters long which will give me the overhang on the front and back.

The roof will then have firring strips on top, 18mm OSB board and then EPDM rubber on top. There will be nothing else on the roof apart from the odd rain/snow.

Will the proposed plans with struts in-between make a strong enough roof? I would rather not have to install a steel if I can help it.

Outbuilding plan post.jpg

Sponsored Links
Snow load depends on where in the country you are.

However, you should really allow for some access load too. Either way I think it would be a bit tight to rely on 50x200 joists at 400crs.

I'd want to go for 50x225mm C24 at 400mm crs or double up the 50x200s.

I am in South East London.

Thanks for your reply. What about it if I made a couple of the joists 'flitch beams' like below

flitchbeam.jpg

Right, so the snow load will only be around 0.3kN/m2.

But even allowing no loading for access you will still need the joists at maximum 300mm spacings (with 50x200 C16). You'd also need to allow enough slope that ponding doesn't become an issue.

Bear in mind that there will probably be occasions where you or someone else will be walking around up there. It's not, I assume, subject to building regs so it's up to you, but I'd still be doubling them up.

Flitch beams don't really help as the joists between will still have to span the full 5m

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah you'll need to go to 220mm depth to span 5m.

As it's a lot of timber it might be worth looking at the engineered timber option - I-joists or metal web joists.

Use the shortest span (4.4m) fix some ladders for your overhangs, in the small room use 4x2. If you don't need a flat ceiling inside, skip the firings and just set the joists to fall.

Use the shortest span (4.4m) fix some ladders for your overhangs, in the small room use 4x2. If you don't need a flat ceiling inside, skip the firings and just set the joists to fall.
Thanks for your reply. I do need a flat ceiling inside.

Right, so the snow load will only be around 0.3kN/m2.

But even allowing no loading for access you will still need the joists at 300mm minimum (with 50x200 C16). You'd also need to allow enough slope that ponding doesn't become an issue.

Bear in mind that there will probably be occasions where you or someone else will be walking around up there. It's not, I assume subject to building regs so it's up to you, but I'd still be doubling them up.

Flitch beams don't really help as the joists between will still have to span the full 5m
Thank you for your reply, not subject to building regs. Okay your advise would be 300 crs or 400 crs with two joists bolted together?

Yeah you'll need to go to 220mm depth to span 5m.

As it's a lot of timber it might be worth looking at the engineered timber option - I-joists or metal web joists.
I was looking at I-Joists last night actually, I like the fact they are stronger, more energy efficient and can span longer distances. I assume would not need struts in-between?

Running the calcs 200 x 50 C24 timbers spanning 5m with a standard snow loading of 0.75kn/m2 and a roof dead load of 0.25kn/m2 then the deflection would be 10mm as against standard max of 14mm, the max bending moment in the timber would be 50% of what it can actually take. Using C16 deflection would be 13mm and bending moment 75% of allowable

FYI https://www.timberbeamcalculator.co.uk/en-gb/span-table/flat-roof-joists?load=0.75&class=C16
At what spacing? I think 0.25kN/m2 is a bit low once (presumably) plasterboard, OSB, insulation, firrings, and finishes have been added.

Plus it's most likely the joists won't be a genuine 50x200 but will be regularised down to 44x195 or thereabouts, at which point they fail, even if only 0.25kN/m2 is taken (C16 at 400mm crs). That's not allowing for the short term point loads that should be considered.

I have looked at the cost of I Joists and they are quite expensive. It would still be cheaper to bolt two joists together than doing it all in I Joists.

At what spacing? I think 0.25kN/m2 is a bit low once (presumably) plasterboard, OSB, insulation, firrings, and finishes have been added.

Plus it's most likely the joists won't be a genuine 50x200 but will be regularised down to 44x195 or thereabouts, at which point they fail, even if only 0.25kN/m2 is taken (C16 at 400mm crs). That's not allowing for the short term point loads that should be considered.
440c/c. re 0.25Kn/m2 quite possible Ronnie but then the 0.75 snow load could be considered generous, its up to the OP to work actual loading out 22mm chipboard is about 0.15kn/m2, so 18mm OSB with rubber?? . Whether its regularised or not or to be plasterboarded who knows I just work on spec given by the OP.

I was looking at I-Joists last night actually, I like the fact they are stronger, more energy efficient and can span longer distances. I assume would not need struts in-between?
I know you've now (sensibly) discounted I-joists, but how would they have been more 'energy efficient'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back