Garden Shed Roof 4.5m x 2.5m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I have just found this forum and hope that you can help.

We have a 4.5m x 2.5m timber shed with a shallow single slope boarded roof. It is all made from shaped 11mm max and 7mm min timber. The roof deck is the same as the walls except with the flat back of the wood facing the felt. We laid a replacement good quality felt a few years ago. The felt is fine but water creeps throught the nails that we used to hold it on and gets into the shed. Yes I now know that we should have used adhesive but we didn't. The roof is actually two (2.25m x 2.5m) pieces that meet in the middle of the shed.

So what to do.

1) I am considering butyl pond liner but does all the timber joins make any difference (planks + 2 big panel join)

2) Replacing the felt and gluing it down.

3) Corrugated bitumen or galvanised sheets although the 2.5 metre fall direction doesn't help as all the corrugated panels that I can find are 2m. I would have preferred a single full width sheet and I am a little concerned about nails / screws holding when put into the roof timber which has a maximum thickness of 11mm and a minimum thickness of 7mm.

Thoughts please and if we go corrugated bitumen or galvanised can we lay it on top of the existing felt?

Sponsored Links
Mainly marine but hey I will always stop to look at a proper railway locomotive on full thrash!

Our shed came with the roof prebuilt as 2 panels as above. I am a little concerned that the panels may well move relative to one another & creat a lovely stress line down any firmly glued surface (such as butyl). A point of possible early failure?

Sponsored Links
Is there any chance of a photo of the roof from inside?
I suspect if there were sufficient reinforcement over the mid-gap, the differential movement would be minimal.

Still some proper locos used my way at times. Top'n'tailed class 37's on passenger service were a sight to behold in 2019!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back