Old corrugated iron shed wall replacement

We were thinking about replacing the whole roof with corrugated clear PVC, instead of just having one small section as a sky light, might as well make the whole thing a sky light.

Has anyone done that before?

The roof is around 9 meters with a 4.4 meter slope, so would need lengths 4.4 meters long.

Sponsored Links
Don't think you will get them that long unless you go direct to a manufacturer. It may be then by adding some roof supports you could use 2 or 3 sheets that overlap to give you the size you need.

Corrugated clear doesn't last long and gets very brittle. If you're in a windy area you may find the roof parts company quickly

It would cost an absolute fortune , difficult to reach ti fix, and would get the building very hot.
Up to 4m clear sheets are available but I use 6 or 8ft GRP reinforced sheets at intervals along the length and its surprising how much light it lets in

Sponsored Links
It would cost an absolute fortune , difficult to reach ti fix, and would get the building very hot.
Up to 4m clear sheets are available but I use 6 or 8ft GRP reinforced sheets at intervals along the length and its surprising how much light it lets in

Yeah got a price and the sheets for a clear GRP roof were going to cost around £1000, so not going to do that.

My options for roof sheets (enough for the whole roof) are to get 0.7mm plastic coated galvanized steel at approx £500, 0.5mm plain galvanized steel at approx £250 or another material like onduline at around £500.

Living in remote Scotland it is can be very expensive to get bulky and heavy materials delivered.

I managed to get some second hand 5 meter sections of PVC coated galvanized steel for free after asking on facebook, I had to cut them up in to smaller 1.8 meter sections as that is the height of the back wall in my shed where it will go.

I tried cutting the sections with tin snips as someone recommended here but it was very slow and difficult to do, think this stuff was too thick or my tin snips were rubbish. So I cut through it with a cutting disc on the angle grinder which went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Someone said you need to treat the ends if you cut it this way, can anyone recommend a product to treat it with?

I'm thinking of getting this zinc rich paint, it's listed as a primer but I'm thinking of only just using the primer as it's the back of the shed where nobody will ever see it the colour doesn't matter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-kote-10599-400ml-Zinc-Primer/dp/B000TROMXK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back