Garden tap advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a water tap about 10m from the rear of my garage to the rear garden for use next to my dogs kennel. I already have the supply coming out of the back of the garage with a stop tap and check valve inside the garage. I was planning to connect MDPE pipe to this and run underground and up the side of a short fence post fixed into the ground connected to a tap. I would also have a soakaway underneath the tap.

Can anyone offer their expert opinion of this and what I should do about insulation or what I should do differently. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
pcsparky said:
I want a water tap about 10m from the rear of my garage to the rear garden for use next to my dogs kennel. I already have the supply coming out of the back of the garage with a stop tap and check valve inside the garage. I was planning to connect MDPE pipe to this and run underground and up the side of a short fence post fixed into the ground connected to a tap. I would also have a soakaway underneath the tap.

Can anyone offer their expert opinion of this and what I should do about insulation or what I should do differently. Many thanks.

I have FOUR outside taps and none of my pipe is lagged :eek:
I just turn off the internal stop tap in the cold weather and open the taps ;)
Mind you i am not in the cold Nooooorth :)

Use a foam lagging or armourflex where the pipe is showing and preferably a few inches under ground just in case.
Underground it should be ok,dig as low as you can be bothered to.
I`d say a coulpe of feet down if likely to be dug near (ie flowerbed)

The official measurements are minimum of 750mm deep or insulated and contained in a duct at any depth less than 750mm.

Duct and insulation is far easier than digging deep, particularly if the ground is fairly hard.

Take the connection after the stop tap and DCV.

What are you intending to use the tap for? - Filling water bowls or attaching a hose?
With the risks associated with a kennel (poo) a tap with a hose connection should really be fed from a storage tank but this probably isn't a viable option so just make sure that the hose has a spring operated trigger mechanism on the end...

Sponsored Links
I'll still go at least 45cm down but will take your advice and run it in ducting.

The main reason for having the tap there is for filling up the water bowl regularly and hosing down the kennel base when dirty. I was going to run a hosepipe off of it for both of these tasks (which is what I have at the moment sprawled acorss the garden). It will have a trigger spray attachment but I would always turn the tap off when not in use.
There is no risk of contamination because the tap will be fixed to a post well outside the kennel area.

pcsparky said:
There is no risk of contamination because the tap will be fixed to a post well outside the kennel area.

Its the hose lying in a bucket or in a puddle on the kennel floor that's usually the source of contamination. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back