Garden tap leaking when spray gun on hose turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an outdoor tap (see attachment) fitted by the house builders to which we have attached a garden hose with a spray gun on the end. When the tap is open and spray gun is not pressed i.e. no water is flowing through the hose, the tap leaks. When the tap is closed, it doesn’t leak. This isn’t a problem normally as the hose isn’t in use for long and the spray gun is normally open. However, if someone has been watering and then forgets to turn the tap closes, quite a lot of water will be wasted if it’s a day or two before the mistake is spotted.

Is this a fault with the tap or is it simply not designed to withstand mains static pressure when open? What can I do to keep the tap leak free at all times?

Thanks in anticipation

C0395D8E-96EF-46CF-ACCD-3DFA74E0891B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You just need to undo the gland nut (top of shaft), wrap about 8 turns of PTFE tape around bottom of shaft, push it down with a screwdriver or similar, tighten nut back up again, job done.

Old tap, I'd replace it. Not a huge expense.

Not against the PTFE tape trick and it work for the short term but every time the tap is used it will wear away a little of the tape and then it'll eventually start to leak again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back