Garden Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garden tap is leaking even when I tighten it really hard.

I guess I need to replace the washer, what type and size of washer would it normally be?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
And do you advocate not replacing the 20p washer because it's expensive, or slow, or both?

I have a stock of 100 1/2" washers, worth about £20 and taking up very little space. Your equivalent stock of taps would cost you more than £430, and take up an entire crate of space.

Or do you drive to Screwfix every time you need a tap? Surely that makes a tap replacement very expensive and time-consuming?

And how much do you care about about the environmental cost of scrapping a serviceable tap?

And do you advocate not replacing the 20p washer because it's expensive, or slow, or both?

I have a stock of 100 1/2" washers, worth about £20 and taking up very little space. Your equivalent stock of taps would cost you more than £430, and take up an entire crate of space.

Or do you drive to Screwfix every time you need a tap? Surely that makes a tap replacement very expensive and time-consuming?

And how much do you care about about the environmental cost of scrapping a serviceable tap?

lol, i'm not doing the job am i brain ache. This is a householder we're talking about. say he goes off buys a washer, not sure what size, so good chance he could get that wrong, but say he does manage to get it right, gets home and changes it only to find the seatings gone? maybe he should buy a tap reseating tool as well? stop being ridiculous.
a new tap is cheap for the "diyer", its easy for the "diyer" and is a guaranteed fix. There's also a reasonable chance by buying one c/w check valve he'll be bringing the installation up to regulation as well.

lol, i'm not doing the job
Clearly.

This is a householder we're talking about. say he goes off buys a washer, not sure what size, so good chance he could get that wrong
Not really - he knows that it's either 3/8" or 1/2".

maybe he should buy a tap reseating tool as well?
If he's intent on doing his own tap maintenance, then of course he should.

stop being ridiculous.
Your favourite supplier sells the tool for the "ridiculous" price of less than two taps:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89487...ng-Tool?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESEATING-_-89487

a new tap is cheap for the "diyer"
No it isn't - it costs 20 times as much as a washer.

its easy for the "diyer" and is a guaranteed fix.
What are the exact terms and conditions of your guarantee?

There's also a reasonable chance by buying one c/w check valve he'll be bringing the installation up to regulation as well.
I agree, but since you're now gambling there's also a chance that the existing tap is serviceable and already compliant.

Taps with built in check valves are illegal!

Can change a washer in under 30 seconds - without turning the water off and no mess! any pressure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back