garden trellis panel rotten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just found the lower part of a trellis panel in my garden is rotten. Some of the wood strips have become very soft and fallen off. I have thrown the rotten wood away in the bin.

What concerns me is that there are lots of small round holes on some of the wood, like woodworm holes. The holes are on both the apparently "good" wood and those rotten ones.
Do I need to do anything to treat the woodworm? I don't know how long those holes have been there. I couldn't see any frass/powder on the ground.

Can woodworm "spread" to other parts of the house?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
No, woodworm shouldn't spread - they like wet, rotting timber. Unless your house is a bit soggy, you should be ok! Woodworm is the larvae of a beetle, they lay the eggs in the wet wood, but the worms will not make a bee-line to your house.

Treat the woodworm, boron-based is kinder to other creatures etc, then apply a preservative to your fences. They've only attacked the wood because it was already rotting or it was wet. I doubt you'd see any tell-tale powder, it would be blown away/washed away with rain as soon as it was created.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back