Garden Wall Footing depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have someone coming in to build up the existing garden wall (shown below). Though not qualified to judge I am beginning to have doubts around the quality of the workmanship, mostly because of the length of time it taking (5 weeks so far) and that it seems that the next door rear wall is sloping down and is not flush when looking along it

As well as building up the existing wall he needs to re-build a 4' x 5' section at the end with a pillar from the ground up. My main concern here is that the footing seems to be nothing more than a light touch or cement thrown down on top of the ground, no footing dug or compacted in anyway. I can't believe this is sufficient to sustain the wall safely? I know that from the building work that has gone on recently that the existing footings for the 3-4ft wall already there that is about 1m deep.

Any advice on this appreciated, what is the typical footing required for a 5f' double skin wall like this?

Cheers, Paul[/wiki][/code]

Sponsored Links
Any wall higher than four foot should really have engineer designs and calculation made.
The spread should be at least 100mm either side of the skins, so if the overall thickness of the wall was say 200mm the width of the footings should be additional 200mm (100mm each side) so 400mm in total.
If the wall was a standard compliant wall of 4 foot the footing should be at least 100mm on good ground but I would recommend 150mm and increased for heavier walls.

Why build a brick wall against a brick wall? What purpose does that serve?

Sponsored Links
Most of the boundary wall was already there this is just to tidy it up

I also don't get why you would be building this wall up. If it were mine I would be removing what's there not adding more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back