Garden wall removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

I am in the prcoess of purchasing a property that fronts a 20mph reidential road. Currently there isnt a driveway but a very obvious solution to remove the garden wall to allow me to park on (what is currently) my garden.
I'e tried calling my local planning which just rings out constantly and when I've emailed them they have asked for £25 upfront just to advise on whether or not planning permission would be required!

Has anyone else here done what I am planning ? Pertinent points below.

No drop kerb required
No yellow or double lines on the road
No school nearby
No bus stops nearby
Recent new developments either side of the house all of which have driveways

I cant see any logical reason why planning would be required, but would like to hear from anyone who thinks it might be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only planning issue would be whether the property has permitted development rights or not.

Anyway, you need to be contacting the highways dept not the planners regarding the viability of any off road access.

Taking down a garden wall doesn't require PP.

If no dropped kerb is required and you don't need to drive over the pavement then my opinion is that parking a vehicle on your own land is not a planning issue in its own right. There might be issues with paving the area, but that's a different issue altogether.

Possibly a candidate for eventually seeking forgiveness rather than permission!

Sponsored Links
Anyone else done the same on your street?

Morning all.

I am in the prcoess of purchasing a property that fronts a 20mph reidential road. Currently there isnt a driveway but a very obvious solution to remove the garden wall to allow me to park on (what is currently) my garden.
I'e tried calling my local planning which just rings out constantly and when I've emailed them they have asked for £25 upfront just to advise on whether or not planning permission would be required!

Has anyone else here done what I am planning ? Pertinent points below.

No drop kerb required
No yellow or double lines on the road
No school nearby
No bus stops nearby
Recent new developments either side of the house all of which have driveways

I cant see any logical reason why planning would be required, but would like to hear from anyone who thinks it might be.

Thanks
Just knock it down, won’t be a problem if everything else is in place as you say.

Blup

Hi guys , thanks for the replies. To answer the main queries , yes there is a path that has to be be crossed to get on my land. The property I'm buying is 100+ years old , the house next door was built 20 years ago and has a drive and you have to cross the same pathway as I would have to.
The kerb doesn't need to be dropped as it is only 30mm or so high.

20 years ago when I was younger I would have knocked it down and not even thought about it , but getting older you become more risk averse !

Whether a kerb needs to be dropped or not is irrelevant. A highway crossing needs to be formed and that involves strengthening the base beneath the path, it would be unlawful to use the path as a crossing without this, or without the highways authority agreeing to it.

Whether a kerb needs to be dropped or not is irrelevant. A highway crossing needs to be formed and that involves strengthening the base beneath the path, it would be unlawful to use the path as a crossing without this, or without the highways authority agreeing to it.

They will be my next contact , thank you

We had some kerb ramps to save us widening our drive "drop" - Surrey Highways warned us if they were not removed we would be fined ......... Surrey Highways came along and removed them.

There is offence of driving over a pavement!

Section 184 of the Highway act by the look of it.

I need to find out quickly whether it will be allowed otherwise I'll have to pull out of the sale.

Yet you've not answered the fundamental question asked above. Your county highways department is the place to find guidance and the criteria that would need to be met, not your local council and each county has their own criteria.

I need to find out quickly whether it will be allowed otherwise I'll have to pull out of the sale.
I can pretty much guarantee if there is a pavement to cross, you will not be "allowed" - no way will highways just give you an OK on this. You would need to put in an application for an official dropped kerb, and get planning for the parking area.

I can pretty much guarantee if there is a pavement to cross, you will not be "allowed" - no way will highways just give you an OK on this. You would need to put in an application for an official dropped kerb, and get planning for the parking area.

So it would appear. I've managed to unearth some contact details for the Highways dept. and they will be in touch - 10 days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back