Garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Front garden is rather large, approx 30ft long by 15ft wide.

Want to get a wall built down both sides, one side will replace my wall between me and neighbour amd the other will run down my side of the shared path that leads to our shared porch (a lot of those in RM8!)

I have 12 cast iron scroll work railings that I want to use.

Ideally, bricks will come up 2ft, the railings above that and between pillars.

I presume the wall will be double skinned and hefty foundations dug.

but will the pillars have to be reinforced in any way?

Is this too big a job for a novice to tackle?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
whenever we build a 9" wall with pillars that extend above the the wall, then we build those pillars at 18" square. any less and you run the risk of them either peing pushed or *blown* over.

the centre of the pillar is filled with concrete before being capped.

*occurs when fence panels are fitted between*

Thanks for the reply

Wall/railing is not going to be higher than 5ft although pillars will prob be 6ft.

The railings in between the pillars are cast iron scroll work (or whatever the word is) so wind should just blow through them but becausse of the weight of the railings, will still need to be beefy?

Similar to these

11.jpg

Is there any need to tell the council of such a wall?

Is there any need to tell the council of such a wall?

there may be height restrictions, as this at the front of the building. i would speak to the council first.

with regards the pillars, it's up to you. i would only go with large pillars at that height.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back