gas and electric certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone advise me how to go about getting gas and electric certificates I need to allow me to rent my house out as a holiday let

Sponsored Links
Some info for the electrical side of things:

"If you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you have a legal obligation to have a periodic inspection carried out on your property every five years. If your property is not an HMO, you are not legally obliged to get your installation inspected and tested on a periodic basis. However, the ESC recommends that a periodic inspection and test is carried out by a registered electrician on your rental properties at intervals not exceeding five years, or on a change of tenancy. They will then issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) which details any damage, deterioration, defects or conditions within the installation that give rise, or potentially give rise, to danger."

With reference to the gas cert then you will need to contact a gas safe engineer!

hope this helps!

Vibro,

It seems the op has made the decision to attain gas and electrical certificates for his/her house.

Sarate,

You need to contact a gas engineer and an electrician to carry this out for you.
I would ring around and seek a number of quotes for each. Recommendations from people you trust would help.

Expect that that work may be required to bring installations up to an acceptable standard before a certificate is granted.

I must have misunderstood the op as I thought that he/she was under the impression that they needed an electrical cert to rent out, which they probably won't but a gas safety cert is needed legally.

Sponsored Links
There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under Common Law and various statutory regulations: The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Housing Act 2004, The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

Apart from the Landlord's Common Law duty of care, the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 (and several other statutory regulations) requires that the electrical equipment is safe at the start of every tenancy and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.

Electrical hazards are also covered by the Housing Health and safety Rating System under the Housing Act 2004.

In the case of commercial property and houses in multiple occupation there is a statutory duty under the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 for the responsible person (the property manager) to carry out annual Fire Safety Risk Assessments, which include electrical safety risks.

If you let property you must ensure that the electrical system and all appliances supplied are safe - failure to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the The Consumer Protection Act 1987 is a criminal offence and may result in:

A fine of £5,000 per item not complying
Six month's imprisonment
Possible manslaughter charges in the even of deaths
The Tenant may also sue you for civil damages
Your property insurance may be invalidated

These regulations are enforced by the Health & Safety Executive.

In January 2005 new legislation under Part P of the Building Regulations make it a requirement that for certain types of electrical work in dwellings, plus garages, sheds, greenhouses and outbuilding comply with the standards. This means a competent electrician must carry out the work. For DIY electrical work you must belong to one of the Government's approved Competent Person Self-Certification schemes or submit a building notice to the local authority before doing the work.

When it comes to the gas then as a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues,appliances and pipework which you own and have provided for your tenants use by a Gas safe registered engineer . Although there is no prescribed timeframe for these duties, good practice would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.

You are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

Starspark1 are you trying to pass this info off as your own as a couple of links would suffice! At least use quotation marks to show that they are quotes from something else!

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm
http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/landlords-requirements-for-electrical-safety/
http://www.demarcoelectrical.com/landlords.shtml
Looks like sections have just been cut and pasted out of these documents!:oops:

Nobody likes someone trying to take credit for other peoples work do they! ;)

Of course i have!! sorry didnt realise there was diynot police for that!! I have given advice whats the problem?? Where did i say i was passing this as my own??
I seem to remember you doing it on many occasions?? Your very first post as you alter ego elrobbo82 if i recall?
Practice what you preach please Thanks. :rolleyes:

Of course i have!! sorry didnt realise there was diynot police for that!! I have given advice whats the problem?? Where did i say i was passing this as my own??
I seem to remember you doing it on many occasions?? Your very first post as you alter ego elrobbo82 if i recall?
Practice what you preach please Thanks. :rolleyes:

I've searched this post you have mentioned and looks like someone with a surprisingly similar name to your own has more than enough to say on the matter! Maybe practice what you preach my friend!

Here's the post in question; //www.diynot.com/forums/decorating/painting-over-oil-based-with-water-based.292510/#2131295

I especially like this post from the so called starspark;
" Thankyou as I said apology accepted since im very considerate as your backup bud rms says!
I have no problem with the researching part and forums etc are excellent for it i just feel original authors deserve the credit rather than stealing it to perhaps massage your ego etc. A simple link as I said suffices.
Keep it real elrobbo the only person your cheating is yourself."

elrobbo/vibro im a changed man!!!
I have let myself down, my diynotters down and most importantly you down.
Please accept my deepest apologies for the hurt and pain i may have caused you.
I was just trying to help someone i know now not to incase i upset you. sorry. :cry:

elrobbo/vibro im a changed man!!!
I have let myself down, my diynotters down and most importantly you down.
Please accept my deepest apologies for the hurt and pain i may have caused you.
I was just trying to help someone i know now not to incase i upset you. sorry. :cry:

It's Vibrobullit407 by the way!

Just seems that maybe you should stick to your own rules rather than making them up to pull other people. Apology accepted let's just move on from this!

Thankyou Vibro it means a lot.
You were elrobbo though which is fine but just admit it then we can move on properly and something special could blossom?

I remember someone who had a similar name to Starspark1. The name was Starspark. And he was always always obsessing over every post sent by Elrobbo and Vibrobullit407.

Thank god he left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back