Testing & certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me which tests & certificates are available to show electrical compliance for a property which is to be rented out? Would a periodic insp. report apply or are there any alternatives?
Regards
Malc F

Sponsored Links
I would have said that a periodic inspection report is the only certificate which would be apropriate, unless the house has just been fully rewired, then an electrical installation certificate would suffice.

OK - thanks for that RF Lighting, its just that I've seen 'annual' type reports from other rented properties which are just one sheet but the periodic is 6 or 7 sheets long!!
Regards
Malc F

They sound "interesting"

The minimum you should expect is a three page domestic PIR.

Sponsored Links
Having been a tenant many times I've never had an electrical safety certificate, only gas.

I don't think you need to get one for the electrical installation or any appliances that you may have in the property.

I must have imagined all those years when I used to do domestic PIRs in rented properties

The Regs don't say when/how often they should be done.

GN3 says every 10 years or on change of occupancy.

But of course there's no requirement to comply with BS7671.

It's likely that the only compulsion to have PIRs done is going to come from the landlord's insurers, and if offered to or rented through councils, colleges, companies etc, them.

Unlike with gas there is no direct legal requirement to have any form of electrical certificate for a property you are renting out though having one will be very usefull in the (very unlikely) event that a tenant gets killed or seriously injured by an electrical fault in the flat.

The IEE reccomend a periodic inspection, some agencies may require that others may have much looser requirements or not require anything at all.

A landlord would have to prove that all reasonable steps were taken to ensure safety including "electrical safety" so that is implied as a PIR (or equivalent) even if not specifically mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back