test certificate

Yes please do post results. As I have said as electricians we don't ever have an installation without an installation certificate.

I have worked under the LABC, and I had to supply them with the installation certificate to get the completion certificate.

It would seem that the LABC could come and test, but they do not give you the test results, they only give you the completion certificate, which is clearly a problem if the DNO want to see the results.

I do wonder if the LABC do keep the certificates sent to them, it would be quite a paperwork mountain, and also in England many of the completion certificates are now not required, so may be that was why the rules have been changed maybe just too much paperwork?

Sponsored Links
It would seem that the LABC could come and test, but they do not give you the test results, they only give you the completion certificate, which is clearly a problem if the DNO want to see the results.

But the procedures of completing an EIC, are to present the client with the documents on commissioning/hand-over, as well as keep copies. So if LABC have in this instance, completed an EIC then issued the certificate of compliance, all these documents should have been handed over to the client.

And I would assume the period, that the LABC would/should be keeping the documents, would exceed the period documented/stated(on forms) for next inspection and test date.

EFLImpudence's comment...
'If a registered electrician is not used and the work is under the Inspection and supervision of the LABC then to issue a certificate of compliance without testing the installation themselves would (seem to ?) be grossly negligent'
If they don't test it, you must.

this seems to hit the point, and is what makes me wonder if E.D.F. will accept the cert' of com'
If the DNO want a proper EIC as proof that the installation complies with BS 7671, as required by The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002, then no, a Building Regulations compliance certificate will not do.

I can't do the tests and, as I have paid LBC a princely sum, I would hope they would organise the tests. This would of course, give the cash strapped LBC a cost, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
will let you know.

Sponsored Links
I can't do the tests and, as I have paid LBC a princely sum
I would agree seems they get money for nothing. The old Part P stated they are responsible for site safety but seems to be dropped from new Part P.
I would hope they would organise the tests.
Yes they should but again reading old Part P they don't have to give you the results.
This would of course, give the cash strapped LBC a cost, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
will let you know.
What you need to consider is writing out your own installation certificate. Blank forms are available for free on the IET website. I am sure I will get shouted at for this but although the correct meter uses 500 volt for insulation and 200 ma for continuity using the multi-meter readings in your case should be good enough. You know the LABC has or at least they should have tested so all should be safe so in your case it is just filling in paper work. For tripping times for RCD no power so can't test until there is power so leave blank.
The same for questions like earthing method. Leave blank as until the power is connected and the DNO tell you what they have installed you can't fill that in.
OK you should hire the meters but since the LABC should have tested I would not worry too much. There is no written qualification required to write out the installation certificate all that is required is the knowledge on how to test which if you have wired you should have. So please explain
I can't do the tests
why can't you do tests? There are two blank versions of the forms. Single signature and triple signature if you wanted some one else to test you will need to use the latter. You sign for design and installation and you get someone else to sign for inspection and testing.

Inspection can be a problem if wires are hidden within the wall. Clearly for a third party to inspect they must be able to see the cables. Anyway look at http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/forms/ down load the forms which have some explanation on how used and tell us what you think.

b-all-sh...... I can't do the tests because I haven't the equipment.
Interesting thread, I will post the eventual outcome, thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back