test certificate

G

george765

E.D.F. want a test certificate before they will connect a meter. Will the building control completion certificate do ?
I have my doubts as Building control are not asking me to test anything, they are just visually checking my work.
B.C. say the certificate should do as the electrics are part of the certificate of compliance.
anyone know if the certificate will suffice ?
thanks, George
forgot to mention, this is a new installation in a house conversion.

Sponsored Links
I have sat on site more than once where the DNO insist there must be an electrician on site before they will connect.

I have had to explain that the reason why there was no duct for their cables was that in 1725 when the mill was built the builders did not realise it would be required.

I think asking for a test certificate is rather a basic request and reasonable and I question why you have not got one.

The completion certificate was be issued on the satisfaction report on either a minor works or installation certificate but now the new regulations say it can be issued where an electrical installation condition report says it's OK. So in view of that for the DNO to ask for installation certificate and not just an EICR is reasonable.

At the end of the day they are protecting you.

I have my doubts as Building control are not asking me to test anything, they are just visually checking my work.
FFS.

If they don't test it, you must.

Do you know what tests to carry out on the installation - what sequence to do them in and at what point you would energise the installation? For each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

If the DNO want a proper EIC as proof that the installation complies with BS 7671, as required by The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002, then no, a Building Regulations compliance certificate will not do.

You need to give your incompetent builder or project manager a serious kicking for allowing this situation to develop - why on earth did he not know, or take the trouble to find out, what certificates the DNO would want before connecting a new supply? The ESQCR regulations are quite clear.

Sponsored Links
What has been required when I have done this has ranged between a NORWEB (yes, even though NORWEB don't exist any more!) completion certificate signing to say I have installed to 7671 to a megger test on the tails with the main switch of the CU open (SWEB) to nothing (MEB).

I think this is one for the DIY boys. We as electricians would always issue an installation certificate on completion so clearly have no idea as to what the DNO will do when there is not one available.

I noted with the old Part P document if stated that the LABC had to issue a completion certificate but not an installation certificate as this could only be issued by the person or persons who designed, installed and inspected and tested the installation and they would have only inspected and tested.

The problem is that to complete an installation certificate you need the RCD tester readings, the insulation resistance readings, and loop impedance readings all which need expensive test gear.

So in real terms it will cost the DIY person more to hire test gear and to pay the LABC their fees than to get an electrician to do the work. I have always said the option for DIY was really to allow industrial electricians to do domestic work and was never aimed at the DIY market.

But unlikely any electrician can answer this question and for us the problem would never arise.

the LABC had to issue a completion certificate but not an installation certificate
To be correct, the LABC issue a compliance certificate when they are notified that the work is completed and complies with all the relevant Building Regulations including Part P which demands the electrical installation be 'safe'.

A registered electrician states the above has been determined by the necessary testing although the LABC never see the Electrical Installation Certificate and/or the Schedules of Test Results.

If a registered electrician is not used and the work is under the Inspection and supervision of the LABC then to issue a certificate of compliance without testing the installation themselves would (seem to ?) be grossly negligent.

Even if they were to test it before issuing their certificate, that would not be the sort of certificate the OP's DNO seems to require.

So they are only interested in on site IR test of the tails then, plus certificate of compliance?

Sorry, I meant to say open. You got the right idea, though.

Some only test the tails (?), some ask for a signature to make sure it is safe, but don't bother checking, and some don't bother at all.

Thanks all, interesting reply's although some need to refer to my original post.
EFLImpudence's comment...
'If a registered electrician is not used and the work is under the Inspection and supervision of the LABC then to issue a certificate of compliance without testing the installation themselves would (seem to ?) be grossly negligent'
this seems to hit the point, and is what makes me wonder if E.D.F. will accept the cert' of com'
If you guys are interested I will post what happens in the end.
George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back