gas appliance installation regulations and nhbc

dg9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i'd be grateful if anyone has any knowledge of this.

it's a new build property - the boiler has been housed within a cupboard, however, the frame at the foot of the cupboard is immediately in front of the boiler controls - obscuring the view of same and making it trickier to access them.

this would appear to be a breach of The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 - in terms of 'access' - "No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is readily accessible for operation, inspection and maintenance.".

Does anyone have any idea of NHBC standards regarding this?

The builder doesn't care? Is it worth getting an independent engineer to look at the boiler, provide some sort of report regarding that Regulation and using that via the NHBC's procedure?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A model number and a photo would have been a good idea!

You should be looking at the manufacturer's installation requirements for clearance around the boiler.

Tony Glazier

• Thanks
Reactions: dg9
A model number and a photo would have been a good idea!

You should be looking at the manufacturer's installation requirements for clearance around the boiler.

Tony Glazier

thanks for that.

It's an Ideal Isar HE35 Boiler. It's difficult to see how the instructions apply to the problem:
View media item 32634

And the front of the boiler (the controls obscured by the cupboard frame):
View media item 32635

Any thoughts?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any idea of NHBC standards regarding this
With regards to your initial question the NHBC standards say that the installation should comply with the gas regulations you have quoted. Call the NHBC and complain, they should at least contact the builder. Don't hold your breath though.

Ideally what would you want the outcome to be?

only thoughts are by the looks obviously the boilers been fitted prior to the kitchen being thrown in infront of it to make it neat.
If theres any gap between the cupboard and front of the case it will still be possible to get the case removed if not you'd need to get the obstruction removed.
its not illegal though just a not to standards issue but will definitly need rectified if you cant remove the case

Ray

• Thanks
Does anyone have any idea of NHBC standards regarding this
With regards to your initial question the NHBC standards say that the installation should comply with the gas regulations you have quoted. Call the NHBC and complain, they should at least contact the builder. Don't hold your breath though.

Ideally what would you want the outcome to be?

thanks for that confirmation (NHBC guidelines seems less than particularly taxing at times so i wasn't 100% sure they'd even require the Regulations to be met).

The idea outcome would be the carcass for the cupboard to be positioned so that the switches are accessible when the door is opened. (The builder has been cunning with a bait-and-switch by using a full length cupboard in the 'show' home and then claiming, in retrospect, that this is an added extra).

I dont understand that photo. Is that a horizontal bar going across the front of the boiler so that the case cannot come off?

The NHBC defects insurance has a high minimum claim ( £3000 ? ) and is only intended for serious claims like subsidence etc.

Your claim to have the probloem rectified probably lies with the developer from whom you bought the flat.

The builder usually gives the developer a 12 months defects repair guarantee but legally your claim would be against the developer who sold the property.

Expressed simply the boiler has not been installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions regarding access.

Tony

• Thanks
During the first two years of the policy the builder should correct any defects notified to them. A defect is work not carried out to NHBC Standards, as in this case. Ask the builder to rectify the defect, if they don't then contact NHBC.

• Thanks
Builder should sort it either the boiler has been fitted too low on the wall so the bottom bar of the cupboard gets in the way or the Kitchen fitters have carped up!!

The instruction you posted states clearance is required across the front of the boiler for servicing so unless the cupboard bar is easily removed??
the installation is not installed correctly. ;)

• Thanks
I dont understand that photo. Is that a horizontal bar going across the front of the boiler so that the case cannot come off?

A standard cupboard carcass has been installed around the boiler (some lightweight wood has been added at the bottom to cover the pipework) and the bar in the middle is the bottom part of the cupboard (the cupboard door is open or the boiler itself would be hidden).

During the first two years of the policy the builder should correct any defects notified to them. A defect is work not carried out to NHBC Standards, as in this case. Ask the builder to rectify the defect, if they don't then contact NHBC.

Builder should sort it either the boiler has been fitted too low on the wall so the bottom bar of the cupboard gets in the way or the Kitchen fitters have carped up!!

The instruction you posted states clearance is required across the front of the boiler for servicing so unless the cupboard bar is easily removed??
the installation is not installed correctly. ;)

thanks for all the replies.

The builders don't care so it looks like i'll see what NHBC say.

The bar isn't moveable at all but completely fixed to the rest of the cupboard - and the cupboard is the same height as the others in the kitchen, so i expect you are right Boilerman2 and that the boiler has been fitted higher than it ought to have been.

thanks again everyone

Looks like the boiler is accessible to me ( photo is not very good though )
The regs say " accessible " not " as easy as possible "

The access, however, is the least of your worries; your boiler is a total piece of junk which in all likelihood is going to cost you an arm and a leg before you replace it in the end.
I highly recommend you get a full plumbing and heating insurance, and read the whole document at least 3 times letter by letter.

• Thanks
Looks like the boiler is accessible to me ( photo is not very good though )
The regs say " accessible " not " as easy as possible "

thanks for the warning about the boiler.

Actually, that is what the Regulation states: "No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is readily accessible for operation".

The Regulation doesn't define "readily" and i cannot find any case law providing an interpretation to follow, so it falls to the ordinary use of the word. The Oxford Dictionary online provides the following:

readily(read|ily)
Pronunciation:/ˈrɛdɪli/
adverb
without hesitation or reluctance; willingly:
he readily admits that the new car surpasses its predecessors
without delay or difficulty; easily:
[as submodifier] :
transport is readily available

Thus it can be argued that the word 'easily' may be substituted:
"No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is easily accessible for operation".

I guess it's a fine point but I suspect if NHBC don't agree, there would be sufficient scope for a small claim in the courts for remedy of the defect or alternatively monetary compensation for making it right...if it comes to the latter court option then all i'd need to do is find perhaps one or two independent gas boiler fitters to provide a report of some sort confirming that that the operation of the boiler is not 'readily' accessible (remember the view of the dials is obscured too, so it's tricky to physically operate them and view what you are doing).

...Actually, that is what the Regulation states: "No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is readily accessible for operation".

The Regulation doesn't define "readily"
Generally considered as: without needing to use tools, or complying with the M.I..
A boiler turned off at the spur is still readily usable, but not when the internal fuse is removed.

There is no need to try to define words!

That bar will prevent the case coming off and for service a clear access in front of the boiler of 500mm is required ( plus space for a human if not already available ).

Tony

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back