Gas bayonet fitting in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new property, the last owners have an electric cooker, we have just brought a gas one.... now there is a bayonet fitting coming out of the wall, do you think this will still be live?? ( ilive in a block of 6 flats) The gas metre only has one pipe coming from it( to new combi bolier), but it only had one pipe coming from it before which was connected to the one cylider boiler?? Is there a way to tell other than un-packing my new cooker & getting it hooked up ( by some1 esle i might add). only for it not to work & being stuck with a cooker i can't use??

Any help greatfully recived.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can follow the pipe and see if the is a "T" off to the cooker.

Or get the cooker fitted by a gas eng so he can make all relevant checks for your safety

I would suspect it's dead. If there is an old black pipe, that is disconnected, near the meter and the pipe to the boiler is copper you'll be, more that likely, out of luck.
Get a RGI to check - but ask him about pricing to check the supply and/or fit the cooker, if it's ok, first, as you dont want to pay afitting price if it turns out to be unfitable.

Sponsored Links
Yes get a gas engineer out if you pushed a driver in to the socket and gas came out you couldnt be certain it had shut offf properly if it was live could you ?

There was no way i was going to push a driver in there. Are you mad!!! Thanks for replies, got a gas safe engineer to check, we had no gas so he run a new pipe off the combi boiler.

There was no way i was going to push a driver in there. Are you mad!!! Thanks for replies, got a gas safe engineer to check, we had no gas so he run a new pipe off the combi boiler.

i never use a screwdriver either, i always use my thumb :LOL:

You could always buy a cooker hose and fit that into the socket. You'll soon know if it's live then, plus you'll need the hose for the cooker anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back