Gas - Big no no for anything DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct gas needs a gas safe engineer. I would always ask someone saying they will do this work for you also for their gas safe number and check it on the gas safe website.

Would you be kind enough to post up the legislation that says that please? I can't think of any regulation says exactly that.

Much obliged if you can.

Sponsored Links
Would you be kind enough to post up the legislation that says that please? I can't think of any regulation says exactly that.

Much obliged if you can.

Oh you are one of those people :LOL:

I’m sorry where did I say there is legislation stating that?

I know lets advise that anyone who feels they can play with gas do so.

The regulation says competent person, someone who is gas safe “should” be competent.

Idiot :rolleyes:

Oh you are one of those people :LOL:

I’m sorry where did I say there is legislation stating that?

I know lets advise that anyone who feels they can play with gas do so.

The regulation says competent person, someone who is gas safe “should” be competent.

Idiot :rolleyes:

I asked you in a perfectly courteous manner in case I was mistaken, and you resort to abuse.

You said:

You are correct gas needs a gas safe engineer.

Which is plain wrong as you well know. Please don't make up stuff that isn't true, it undermines the credibility of everything else you say.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the CO gas hasn't got you
dear oh dear oh dear bennyboy, please explain in your expertise as a fire investigation or insurance investigator or whatever you pretend to be , how fitting a gas hob could result in production of CO in a level that would be lethal ?????

how fitting a gas hob could result in production of CO in a level that would be lethal ?????

Fitting a gas hob in a room that lacked of adequate ventilation, the title of the thread is

Gas - Big no no for anything DIY?

your expertise as a fire investigation or insurance investigator

It is not my personal expertise, it is the expertise of people in those roles with whom I am aquainted.

The images / reports of buildings destroyed by gas explosions seldom make it clear as to whether the incompetent work that resulted in the explosion had been carried out by a DIYer or a "professional" person. ( "professional" = GasSafe registered ).

How do you prove competence?
You qualify as a gas engineer and then register with Gas Safe? :eek:

When I was doing up houses it's what our insurers required (although in those days it was Corgi, not Gas Safe). Without appropriate inspection certificates by a registered competent person we wouldn't have been able to sell a single house (at least not to anyone who needed a mortgage) and our insurers would have voided the cover they gave us, too

This illegal fitter went to prison (not registered) - quote from Gas Safe, "All gas engineers have to be Gas Safe registered by law". This ex-British Gas employee also went down, for incompetent and dangerous work. This guy got a suspended sentence for incompetent work.

What does it take to convince idiots that gas can be dangerous stuff to work with if you aren't competent?

Last edited by a moderator:
You qualify as a gas engineer and then register with Gas Safe? :eek:

You can be a competent with gas whilst not being Gas Safe Registered.

I have been quibbling about the fantasy legal obligation to be GSR to fit one's own gas hob, not the actual legal obligation to be competent.

One only has to be GSR if receiving payment for the gas work. If you are fitting your own gas hob, you only have to be competent.

I asked you in a perfectly courteous manner in case I was mistaken, and you resort to abuse.

You said:

Which is plain wrong as you well know. Please don't make up stuff that isn't true, it undermines the credibility of everything else you say.

Well no I am not wrong and you just contradicted exactly what you are trying to be smart about. I never specified doing gas work as DIY or for work and you have said it yourself you need to be gas safe if doing it for work (I.e payment) so what I have said in my original post is 100% correct.

The problem is you have tried to twist every little thing for no reason. 40 years in plumbing and maybe you are a bit upset you was never able to be gas safe? so instead you are telling everyone they can do it DIY as you probably do and think there is nothing wrong with that.

We are talking about people’s lives here, if you give someone the wrong impression that gas is easy and anyone can do it you will literally have blood on your hands.

So again before you be an idiot think what you say. I would rather resort to abuse if it save a life.

Out of curiosity what banned member are you or other account? No one joins a forum to start arguments and give borderline lethal advice.

Surely it's not about a DIY'er being able to prove if they are competent or even whether it's legal or not.

It's about ensuring that a gas installation/appliance is installed, tested and working properly. The only way to do that properly and safely is to have the correct equipment and experience and the knowledge and skills to use it properly.

My experience is those requirements can be beyond most, if not all, DIY'ers, therefore it's primarily about safety. In my experience some DIY'ers believe they are bullet proof and can do anything that youtube shows them how to, until something bad happens and then they call in a professional. That's all ok if it's water etc but do that with gas then it's potentially life threatening.

Highlighting whether or not it is legal to do, especially in an open DIY forum, could be pretty dangerous IMO. That'll be why this forum bans all DIY gas advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back