Thought it may help for comparison

Beds 3

Type semi

People 2

Heating Gas

Cooking Gas

Shower Gas

Units / week 30

Since prices are going up / down and people are getting big bills, that is why i thought the above may be useful. If you copy the above bit just change it to your use.

Sponsored Links
Thought it may help for comparison

Shower Gas

Units / week 30

Since prices are going up / down and people are getting big bills, that is why i thought the above may be useful. If you copy the above bit just change it to your use.
Why not use water for your shower.

This could be fun!!

3 bed bungalow, 2 adults, gas heating, DHW and cooking.

Units per weeks 21.57

2 Bedroom

ParkHome

2 Adults

Gas CH/HW

Gas cooking

Units /month - /week

October 25 - 5.6
November 38 - 8.9
December 51 - 11.5
January 55 - 12.4

Well it did get cold these last two months.

Sponsored Links
Breezer's comparisons may not be a simple as it sounds, I was comparing my dads 2 bed bungalow, with my 3 bed detached, he had his thermostat set at 25c, on permanent, and mine 18c to 20c timed to come on early morning for 2 hrs, and evening for 5 hrs, very similar usage I thought.
The actual bill is in kw/hrs, at 2 tariffs.
MY meter is in Cubic METRES, his is in Cubic FEET.
they have a mathematical formula for converting to kw/hrs, and it turns out that the cubic feet meter works out more expensive per week, but looks less if you go by "UNITS".
My usage is 30 to 50 cubic meters per week during the winter,depending on the weather with Brit gas, fixed till 2010, monthly DD, £28. probably be doulble when the price fix runs out.
PP.

There was a bit on Watchdog about meters and bills - some people were getting horrendous gas bills and it turned out that the meters were in cubic feet but the bills in cubic meters (or vice versa, I can't remember) and instead of converting it, they were getting these monstrous bills.

Anyway, here's my submission from the North East of Scotland:

Beds 2

Type flat (mainsonette?)

People 2

Heating Gas

Cooking Gas and Electric

Shower Electric

How are you guys working out the units per week that you've used? If I take my quarterly consumption and divide it by the number of weeks in the quarter, then I get 16.3 per week - does that seem much?

What I really don't understand is that my central heating/hot water and hob are gas. I've got two electric ovens, a tumble drier which has been doing at least every day, sometimes twice a day, a dishwasher that's on nearly every day, my computer which is on morning till night and all the other electrical things.

So how come I gets a gas bill for £256 and an electric bill for £161 for the last quarter????????

There was a bit on Watchdog about meters and bills - some people were getting horrendous gas bills and it turned out that the meters were in cubic feet but the bills in cubic meters (or vice versa, I can't remember) and instead of converting it, they were getting these monstrous bills.

Anyway, here's my submission from the North East of Scotland:

Beds 2

Type flat (mainsonette?)

People 2

Heating Gas

Cooking Gas and Electric

Shower Electric

How are you guys working out the units per week that you've used? If I take my quarterly consumption and divide it by the number of weeks in the quarter, then I get 16.3 per week - does that seem much?

What I really don't understand is that my central heating/hot water and hob are gas. I've got two electric ovens, a tumble drier which has been doing at least every day, sometimes twice a day, a dishwasher that's on nearly every day, my computer which is on morning till night and all the other electrical things.

So how come I gets a gas bill for £256 and an electric bill for £161 for the last quarter????????

computer/ screen /router/speakers/printer 300w approx per hour 14 hrs at 10p a unit = 42p a day =£40 a quarter

tumble dryer around 30p a load at 9 loads a week =£2.70 a week or £35 a quarter

10 60w spots and 200w of other bulbs = 8p an hr for say 7 hrs a day =56p=£51a quarter

tv /video/sky/dvd 200w for say 14hrs a day =30p per day £27 a quarter

so thats computer £40
-----------dryer----£35
--------lights-------£51
--entertainment---£27

----total----------£152

sorry, but i do not agree with computer being 300w

you are saying the computer costs more than a TD, thats not right

So how come I gets a gas bill for £256
hmmm, doesn't seems right to me

My monthly gas bill in the winter approx £55 and in the summer approx £35

This is for my hot water + 13 radiators with 4 adults each having a bath/shower daily but we don't have heating on in the morning as the bungalow is well insulated, nothing wrong with the gas meter as it's brand new

sorry, but i do not agree with computer being 300w

you are saying the computer costs more than a TD, thats not right

tumble dryer runs for approximatly 90-120 mins using around 2.5kwh for the first hour but cuts back to reduced power to maintain the heat so probably uses 2 units in the first hour the as the clothes are dryer less heat needed for the remainder so around another unit =3 units at 10p=30p

"computer/ screen /router/speakers/printer 300w approx per hour 14 hrs at 10p a unit = 42p a day =£40 a quarter"

they leave the computer on all day so around 14 hrs
my speakers=15w
screen=====75w
printer=====160w
tower=====15-300w
router=====135w

so thats between 400w and 700w dependant on whats running so a consevative estimate as i dont know whats left switched on or indeed what wattage there components use !!!

so a tumble dry on for around 90 mins will use a simmilar no of kwh to a conputer on for 10 times longer

;)

my last quarter gas bill was £324.00, leccy £180.00.

3/4 bed semi all mod cons, d/w, w/m, t/d etc.

gas combi boiler.

two showers and a bath (gas heated h/w).

gas hob.

leccy oven.

So how come I gets a gas bill for £256
hmmm, doesn't seems right to me

My monthly gas bill in the winter approx £55 and in the summer approx £35

This is for my hot water + 13 radiators with 4 adults each having a bath/shower daily but we don't have heating on in the morning as the bungalow is well insulated, nothing wrong with the gas meter as it's brand new

Flipping heck! That's better than my £85 or thereabouts per month for gas - and that's for gas hob which doesn't get used that much (about twice a week) and hot water (no baths cos I haven't got a bath) and 6 radiators!!!!! The heating is on from about 6.30am to 10am then around 2pm to 4pm then 7pm to 9pm and on manually if it's really cold.

Since we got this super duper combi boiler which was supposed to be so energy efficient, the gas bills have got higher and higher. Never had bills like that with me old boiler and hot water tank.

Flipping heck! That's better than my £85 or thereabouts per month for gas - and that's for gas hob which doesn't get used that much (about twice a week) and hot water (no baths cos I haven't got a bath) and 6 radiators!!!!! The heating is on from about 6.30am to 10am then around 2pm to 4pm then 7pm to 9pm and on manually if it's really cold.

Since we got this super duper combi boiler which was supposed to be so energy efficient, the gas bills have got higher and higher. Never had bills like that with me old boiler and hot water tank.

dont forget the price off gas has increased over 60% in the last 2 years :rolleyes:

are your bills actual readings or estimates !!!

Sponsored Links
Back