Gas blanking cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm having to remove my kitchen cabinets to provide access to the floor/wall.

As part of this I need to remove the gas hob. I've turned the valve in the pipe run 90° and confirmed that there is no gas to the hob. Just for safety I bought some 15mm compression stop ends from screfix (#65021), however I've noticed on the Q&A where someone asked about use with gas that the answer is that they do not recommend using the fitting with gas.

Is this just arse-covering or is there a specific compression stop end that I need to use with gas pipes?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Seriously? I should call a plumber to unscrew the compression fitting between the hob and the supply pipe, that has already had the valve in the run closed, and then replace it with a blanking nut?

Seriously?

DIY gas work is illegal, unless you can prove competence, and will probably invalidate your house insurance if anything goes wrong.

That's the law I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
With equal respect, the answer is already in the public domain, along with the usual warnings. In my view this does not constitute gas advice.

==========================
Sorry, our rules override your opinon!

Last edited by a moderator:
With equal respect, the answer is already in the public domain

Everything needed to do the job is in the public domain. But to the specific question, ***********
The answer could now come up on a internet search for anyone with the same query.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a law that forbids a householder from capping off a pipe in his own home, what law is it?

"The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Qualification and supervision

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so."

This covers everyone, DIY or not.

It goes on to talk about the additional requirements for employers/employees, but everyone, by law, needs to be competent.

If the hob is going to be removed for example cleaning purposes and it will be refitted, then the homeowner can do this and isn’t considered gas “work”, but breaking into the gas line is considered gas “work”.

but a hob (unlike a cooker) would not normally have a hose and bayonet.

but a hob (unlike a cooker) would not normally have a hose and bayonet.
Yep, get that, hence me accepting it. However, they are permitted if mi’s allow it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back