Gas boiler and isolation regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can advise and maybe point to some official info..

I had a gas condensing boiler installed mid 2015 and would like to just clear up something thats bugging me.

Currently the only means to isolate the gas and water going to the boiler is by the 'mains' stop valves. Is it a legal requirement to have gas and water isolation locally near the boiler but outside the loft or is the mains shutoff points perfectly satisfactory?

Sponsored Links
There should be valves attached to the boiler. It must have a gas valve at least? Can you post a photo?

Yes theres valves on the boiler but shouldn't there be isolation valves to isolate the boiler without having to go in the loft?

Not as a requirement, no. It shouldn't be too much of an effort to go into the loft though, as the regs do require a fixed ladder, adequate fixed boarding, and lighting when a boiler is fitted in a loft

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Don't get me started on those. When the company installed the boiler nothing was ever said about loft ladder or flooring. Suddenly 5 yrs later and 4 annual services later they refuse to service it despite them fitting the system.

Well take it up with them, you have a case to go to Gas Safe and complain, they fitted it they should have included it in the installation price, or asked you to get it to standards, 5 years ago it was still in the regs, they are in the wrong

Thanks for the advice. Gas Safe have now started an inquiry into A Shade Greener for breach of building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back