Gas central heating flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the gas engineer serviced the boiler & central heating he suggested the system could do with a PowerFlush with Magnetic System Filter & this would cost £789.00. Now I'm just an ordinary guy with no knowledge of how this work would cost but this amount seems very high or am I living in the past!? The engineer only suggested it & there was no pressure & I must admit to my knowledge the system has not been flushed for many years, if ever. Needless to say I've not yet taken up the quote.

Anyone any advice or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Why do you need it? whats wrong with the system? Sounds like a BG price.

British Gas has radically dropped their prices. What is needed to determine further is how many radiators have you.

Sponsored Links
There is no pressure of what?
Need for a powerflush is easy to determine: several rads and pipes not getting hot at all.
Indicator that something is going wrong: if the middle of the rad ( horizontally )is colder than the sides.

Radiators (11) are heating up OK & system seems to be fine.

He must have some basis for suggesting the flush so either something isn't working properly (as you've said everything is ok) or he's found black/brown water.

You would benefit from a flush in the long run but you don't need to pay as much as that!

He must have some basis for suggesting the flush so either something isn't working properly (as you've said everything is ok) or he's found black/brown water.
You would benefit from a flush in the long run but you don't need to pay as much as that!

Finding a bit ( or even quite a bit ) of black/brown water does not necessitate a powerflush.
A simple chemical clean would most likely be all that is needed.

Finding a bit ( or even quite a bit ) of black/brown water does not necessitate a powerflush.
A simple chemical clean would most likely be all that is needed.

Yea i've got to agree with this. BG don't offer any other soloution for it though so flush is the first thing they suggest.

What you must understand 'poly' is that most of the CPSs (BG employees) need to supplement their small income by trying to sell things to the unsuspecting & the elderly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back