Gas central heating standby

RGS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to run c/heating circuit-pump-valves-timer etc from a small generator via a changeover switch. My concern is whether there is a "chip" in the UP2 programmer which could be damaged by my non invertor generator, anyone know?
Yes there was a problem last Xmas, houses across the valley were without power for 5 days!
My "boiler" is an Ideal Classic RS60 about 17yrs old. I will endevour to find out if it would be at risk! Thanks for all replies.

Sponsored Links
I would be more worried about the electronic controls in the boiler than the programmer when using a generator without AVR

• Thanks
Reactions: RGS
By the virtue that its a digital programmer, I would say there is a possibility.
Depending on your boiler, it may too be at risk, the voltage from cheap gennys varies quite a bit, and can dip/spike when the genny is put under load.

Does the power go out often enough to warrent this? I thought about it not too long ago, then realised the only power outage we have had in 5 years only lasted 2 hours.

• Thanks
Reactions: RGS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back