Gas Consumption Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I've had a shocking gas bill through today based on an actual meter reading.

It's telling me that we consumed 12224kwh of gas from Jan-Jul, compared to to 1410kwh for the same period last year.

We've had the same boiler (a Vaillant ecotec 630) installed in June 2013.

Gas usage hasn't really changed - we only use gas for heating/hw.

With everything switched off, the meter is still. I can't smell any gas (although I can smell faint gas from the flue sometimes when the boiler is running - is this normal)?

I ran the boiler for hw just now and reading changed from 20134.60 to 20134.64 in 1 minute - does that seem right?

I just can't see how we've used 8 times as much gas in the same period, I'd pretty much have had to have run the boiler 24x7!

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean it went from 20134.600 to 20134.640? As there is 3 digits after the decimal point

Sounds like an incorrect reading to me. Check your last bill - it should have the reading on it as well as the usage

Thanks - I only have 2 digits after the decimal point.

But yes, silly me, I'll check last year's bill to see if it was based on an estimated or actual reading. It might explain the discrepancy.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Is it a metric meter if so a rise of .04 m3 is close enough.
as muggles said its probably an incorrect reading

To use almost 10x as much in the smae period sounds like someones put a decimel point in the wrong position

Dear all,

I ran the boiler for hw just now and reading changed from 20134.60 to 20134.64 in 1 minute - does that seem right?

Thanks

Thats about 26/27 Kw so about right for HW on a combi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back