Gas Cooker Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok well we're about to let out our property ans the corgi gas guy came round and inspected the flue and boiler and gas meter etc.

Everything was fine until he came to the cooker, he said it was too close to the cupboards and hence had to note this as a failure and i had a few options. Also the cooker wasn't attached to the wall properly so i have to:

1)get rid of the cooker, job done (doesn't really help me renting the place out though)
2)put supalux on the cupboards on each side.

Where can i get this supalux stuff from and is it quite easy to attach it to the side of the cupboards? Can it be painted etc?

Sponsored Links
supalux can be purchased from most good builders merchants in 8' x 4' sheets which will prob be way too much, the relevant clearences for cookers is to "non-combustible material" ie supalux, NOT paint, so if you paint it this will still fail, why not tile the side of the units, haven't got time to check but i think clearances from cumbustible material is 300mm which can be reduce to 50mm if non-combustible although care has to be taken with only 50mm claerances for pot handles etc
to secure the cooker to the floor/wall requires a stability bracket/chain which costs about £3

thanks for that you may have saved me a packet, although apparently the engineer has also mentiuoned that the pipe on the back of the cooker is too high!!

Anyone know of a way round that, im soo worried, leaving the place on rent and only got 2 weeks to srt this out!

Actually i just read the warning notice, it says the appiance i working but isnt to standards and should be upgraded.

Sponsored Links
as with all these things nothing matters until something happens, if the cooker is classed as NCS (Not to Current Standards) the gas guy is advising you it needs to be amended it is up to you if get it done or not but IF something hapens you as landlord would be asked why you chose to ignore technical advice, i would advise sorting out the claerences to combustible materials as this will be classed as At Risk, but you could choose to leave the cooker pipe too high until you get the appliances serviced when they are due (annually or at change of tenancy if before due date) as a landlord you MUST get the appliances checked every year, this usually includes a service just to keep everything correct, if the units were covered there will be no prob leaving the pipe too high and no chain until you get them serviced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back