Gas cooker tripping the whole home RCD control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a gas cooker with an electric oven and an electric ignition for the gas cooker. Out of the blue, the cooker is tripping the RCD circuit for the entire house. Picture of the electric connection for the cooker is attached. The electric on/off switch is controlled by an extra switch on an electric socket on the wall near the cooker. I have seen several posts on this topic but have not found any which explained what the problem is (what does earth leakage means e.g.?) and how it can be fixed. Many thanks in advance.
View media item 41224

Sponsored Links
You need to have it narrowed down as to which part of the cooker is causing the fault, if it is the oven then it could just be an element gone faulty.

Basically earth leakage is where current goes back via the earth (circuit protective conductor) instead of via the neutral owing to a fault.

When does it trip i.e. what have you got switched on when it happens? Or is it as soon as the switch on the wall is turned on?

Sponsored Links
Does it trip when you put the oven on?
If yes then this is your prime suspect.
If it trips when you press the ignition switch then there is s fault with this side of the unit.
If you are unsure what to look for its advisable to call an electrician.

Is the RCD tripping when the electric oven is on?
If so, does it take some time to trip, then wont set straight away?
Then after awhile the RCD will set?
at this time I am thinking heating element!

Hi,

Thank you very much again. it is tripping as soon as the power switch for gas cooker is turned on. I.e., the oven is off and the electric ignition is not pressed but the RCD trips as soon as I turn the main switch on.

So it's okay when the socket is in use but not when the cooker unit is on?
What does this switch turn on?
electric oven?
Gas cooker?
Gas hob?

So you have a dual fuel cooker with a gas hob, the top bit where your phone charger lead is dangerously near parts that could get very hot.
and an electrical oven.
or is it both gas hob and oven that needs an electrical supply to ignite gas?
Do you have any electrical terminal blocks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back