Gas cooker tripping the whole home RCD control

Yes, it is an electric oven (the oven is not working when the power switch is turned off) and plus, there is an electric ignition for the gas hob.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So firstly, check inside the wall control unit/socket for loose connection or damaged cable, your socket works but worth an early investigation, isolate circuit first. If all okay take you cooker off load be disconnecting it via the terminals at the back of appliance, place this terminal ends safely in a connection strip, keeping all conductors separate from each other, then power back up and flick the switch, see what happens?
have you had any problems with moisture at the back of cooker?

Sponsored Links
Ok, so what you are saying is:

-Disconnect the cooker from the existing power socket.
-Check the existing power socket for any loose wirings.
-On the cooker power socket, take off the external cover and put each of the wires in the connection strip.
-Connect the connection strip to the electric power supply and see if it works then?

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

Ok, so what you are saying is:
Is my understanding correct?
No

Isolate circuit
Remove the front plate of CCU/white plastic cooker isolator/socket.
Check for loose or damaged cables.
If non
Replace plate (CUU)
Then pull the cooker out from wall
disconnect the cable from the back of cooker
Terminate cable ends in connection strips
Then power up.
If still trips problem with cable or CUU
If it does not trip problem lies with appliance.

Thank you very much. I will try that tonight and share what happens next.

Sorry to be a pain but can you please expand upon the line "Terminate cable ends in connection strips". That's the only bit that I didn't understand.

Thanks.

The ends of the cables that you remove from the back of the oven (refer to your first post picture).
You will have a
Live = Red or Brown (depending on age of installation)
Neutral = Black or Blue ( depending on age of installation)
Earth = Yellow and Green

They need to be disconnected from the appliance, then the copper ends of these cables, slid in to the connection strip, so no copper showing. Then tightened up.
Each cable must be in a separate port on the strip, so they must not come in contact with each other.

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's help and concerns. I managed to unplug the wires and fit them in the connection strip. The electricity was turned back on and the RCD did not trip. So, I guessed that the cooker was faulty.

When I connected everything back on, the cooker started working again. So, it must mean that the wiring for the cooker had become loose, which was tripping the RCD.

Thanks again.

So, it must mean that the wiring for the cooker had become loose, which was tripping the RCD.
That is one possible explanation.

Another possibility is that when reconnecting the wiring, you have connected it incorrectly or left a wire loose/unconnected.

So, it must mean that the wiring for the cooker had become loose, which was tripping the RCD..
Loose wires do not cause RCDs to trip unless they are so loose that the bare end is no longer in the terminal and touching something metallic that has a path to ground or earth wire.

Now think for a minute. You determined the appliance was faulty. But now it works and does not trip the RCD. Did you do anything to the appliance that would have removed the fault ? Apparently not.

The RCD trips because current is leaking from live or neutral to earth. If the appliance is no longer tripping the RCD then one strong possibility for this miraculous "repair" is that there is now no earth connection to the appliance which will not stop it working, will avoid the RCD tripping but creates a serious risk of electric shock to anyone using the oven.

Get an electrician in to [1] most important make sure there is an effective earth on the oven and [2] diagnose the original fault and possibly repair it.

Hi,

The electrician came in and replaced the element. Charged £130.

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this.

Best regards,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back